Custom field in JIRA that pulls from database

Jason Plumhoff
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 30, 2013

I'm know I'm looking for a plugin, but I don't know which one. Hopefully someone here can point me in the right direction...

I need a field in JIRA that will allow users to select a single valid part number. The part numbers are stored in a separate MS SQL database - and there are over 60,000 parts at last count. Ideally, the user would be able to start typing a part number in the field and would see auto-complete suggestions that narrow down as they keep typing (or disappear if there isn't anything that fits).

Do any plugins offer this capability? I saw some that appear to pull from databases, but I wasn't clear on whether they:

1. were up to handling the number of entries I need
  2. had some kind of autocomplete functionality

Both features are very important... Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Jason

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Mizan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 30, 2013

Dont know if auto complete is there but you might find the JIRA database values plugin useful ,

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/org.deblauwe.jira.plugin.database-values-plugin

EDIT : I guess it also has the auto complete feature

Jason Plumhoff
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 30, 2013

Yes, the JIRA Database Values Plugin by Appfire seems like it could be an exact fit. I could install it and see if it works, but I'd prefer it if the plugin author could chime in as to whether or not the number of entries will be a problem...

Jason Plumhoff
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 4, 2013

Just to follow up - yes, it can handle the amount of data I'm putting in. Unfortunately, the autocomplete feature doesn't currently work. It can only be used as a dropdown list... and with the number of entries I have I don't see this as viable. I guess I'll have to try Valiantys' nFeed as soon as it is JIRA 6 ready.

Suggest an answer