Come for the products,
stay for the community

The Atlassian Community can help you and your team get more value out of Atlassian products and practices.

Atlassian Community about banner
Community Members

Community Events
Community Groups

Custom field driving the status options

I am trying to update the workflow for a custom issue type "Activity". This instance was configured by another admin before I joined the project. The issue is that if I select a custom field of 'Risk' or 'Issue' in Activity type the status options are limited to Open, New, Completed and Done.

Risk and issue status options.PNG

The workflow for the 'Activity' type of issue includes other status as well and is evident from the workflow assigned to this type of issue. If I change the activity type to any option other then the Risk or issue - I can see all the status as per the workflow. 

Status options for all other activity types.PNG

Workflow for Activity issue.PNG

I checked and there are no workflow properties restrictions or any global automation  configured for this project. 

How do we restrict status options through a custom fields? I checked the Field configurations scheme as well but there is no such condition that would trigger this behavior.

How and where do I remove this condition to allow all status to appear for this issue type?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted

Hi @Athar Mushtaq,

I am not entirely sure if I understand your question very well. However, there's two things you should check:

Issue types may have different workflows in a project

You mention Activity and Risk. If these are different issue types, they may be using a different workflow.

From the workflow diagram you shared, I am guessing you are in a company managed project. That means a workflow scheme determines the workflow for each issue type in your project.

Have a look at project settings > workflows in your project to make sure that Activity and Risk are(n't) using different workflows.

Conditions on a transition

If your issue types are using the same workflow, the fact that certain statuses are not available is most likely due to conditions on certain transitions in your workflow. The transitions in the diagram you shared are the arrows that go from the black ALL lozenges in the diagram to the different statuses. Click those arrows and select conditions from the dialog that appears to go into the details. There is a good chance that there is one there.

For more information on workflow conditions, check out this support article.

Hope this helps! 

Thank you for this Walter - It was a custom condition on a transition of a status driving this behavior. 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you