Custom field accessing AO with custom data, display and making it searchable

Karthik Bhat September 9, 2013

I am trying to integrate JIRA with another system. So the requirement is that a single JIRA key can refer to many cases on another system.

Also I need to store few other details from the other system related to the case, like priority etc.,

I guess by writing a custom Active Object, I will be able to get the required storage done. But how do I link it with custom field with this kind of data, display and make it searchable? Any thoughts?

Eg. JIRA-101

==>CASE-23432 Priority-3 Assigned

==>CASE-23433 Priority-1 WIP

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 9, 2013

You will have to create your own custom field type.

https://developer.atlassian.com/display/JIRADEV/Custom+Field+Plugin+Module

Karthik Bhat September 16, 2013

Hi Jobin,

Do you know of any new customfield type that can be installed as a plugin, which will serve the purpose in my case? Thanks in advance!

Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 16, 2013

The requirement doesn't seem generic and I suppose you wouldn't find one. I haven't seen one for sure.

0 votes
Alex Moquia March 9, 2014

hello karthik, i have to make a similar custom field- multi value custom field which stores database key of an external db record, but make it searchable within JIRA. do you mind if i ask how you ended up getting meeting your requirement?

I implemented a JSON web service to handle querying the external database and created a custom field extending AbstractMultiCFType to save the PK from external db. I have edited the views to properly display specific fields returned as JSON from web service. My issues:

- Having trouble getting my custom field class to save properly, not sure if I am overriding the correct methods in the correct way

- I know my custom searcher will be fairly complex, since I would like end users to search for values that are only being returned as JSON from the web service, is this even possible? Or do i need to store those values in JIRA in db or as an AO?

Suggest an answer