Custom domain with service desk

supername July 18, 2015

Dear JIRA Help Desk,

We are considering the cloud version of Service Desk. Can we use a custom domain? and if yes, is it possible to configure SSL? What are the prices for this?

Julian

6 answers

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

2 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 18, 2015

You can tell Atlassian what you want to name your service, but it will be https://<your chosen name>.atlassian.net

They don't (yet) support other domain names.  As you can see from the url, standard SSL is automatically enabled.  You won't be able to do anything clever with the SSL though (like require external certificates) as the service is locked down in a state that Atlassian are willing to support.

Prices: https://www.atlassian.com/software/jira/service-desk/pricing

1 vote
Dominik K August 1, 2017

2 years later, it's near that one custom domain would be possible: issue 6999. Vote there & watch for updates.

Chris Spencer March 19, 2018

This is unfortunate. It'd be really slick and professional if we could host our publicly-accessible helpdesk from http://support.<our-domain>.com instead of some Atlassian sub-domain.

Like # people like this
Wayne Peterson April 28, 2018

I agree, it's important to create a homogeneous user experience, and not being able to utilise your own domain makes it difficult.

Like # people like this
nsamsin August 23, 2018

Totally agree! 

Miha Lavrič January 17, 2019

This is really important, can we expect any new regarding this?

jowo March 29, 2019

I don't think they want more customers.

Like # people like this
0 votes
Clay August 4, 2019

It is August of 2019... Atlassian *actually* has an opportunity to take a solid bite out of Zendesk's market dominance..  and what are they doing?  Not much, apparently.

Atlassian, please enable our (your Customers) ability to upload our own TLS cert (a scripted validation system with LetsEncrypt would be IDEAL) for use with support desk.

Is there an actual timeframe for any of this?  How far down in the stack is this feature?

ensemblebd February 4, 2020

This just in, 14 hours ago.
https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CLOUD-6999?focusedCommentId=2347594&page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels%3Acomment-tabpanel#comment-2347594

It's underway, but they mentioned they reserve the ability to entirely decline the task; should they deem it "unsafe".  We'll see what they do with it; should be interesting.

I think that's the longest running request I've seen in my entire life. I've been monitoring it myself for some 5+ years. 

jowo February 4, 2020
Like ensemblebd likes this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 4, 2020

5+ years?  "Priority schemes" was raised 15 years before Server got it.

Like ensemblebd likes this
ensemblebd February 4, 2020

Read carefully. I said it was the longest request that I've seen in my entire life. I. As in myself.

I'm glad to see the troll mode in full effect that you'd all love to overrule my 5+ years of waiting. That's great, and I applaud you both, but really it's only a attesting to the fact that Atlassian is a complete joke. I'm sure that's more your point here, right? 
If so, I entirely agree.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 4, 2020

No, I was just adopting your tone to reply.   "5+" is arbitrary and meaningless, but more importantly "I asked first" is not a valid development planning strategy.  There are things asked later that will be more important.  I'm hoping that's the point you were actually trying to make.

0 votes
Gev Balyan March 20, 2019

Anybody has any update on this topic? The service desk portal URL looks ugly and can't be used in production.

We have waited so long... 

I have also submitted the form twice to receive access to Custom Domain feature!

Please help!

Gev

Founder @ Ucraft

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 20, 2019

Nothing new since the answers above.

Hey Gev, As you are so interested in this topic I strongly recommend trying RefinedSites for Jira Service Desk Cloud. There is a demo site here (set up on a custom domain) you can check out to get an idea of how the app can transform Jira Service Desk for the better: https://demo.refined.site/ 

Feel free to contact RefinedWiki support if you have further questions. 

0 votes
Genevieve (Refined Partner Manager) January 23, 2019

RefinedWiki's theme app for cloud called RefinedSites includes custom domains as a feature. You can find it here on the Atlassian Marketplace to try out yourself. Or learn more about the custom domains feature which we released in September 2018 :). 

Here is a preview:

RSJSD-screenshot-custom-domain-result.png

0 votes
h-morales October 26, 2018

try adding CNAME to your own domain so it points to https://<your chosen name>.atlassian.net

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 26, 2018

This is only a partial "fix".  If people use the cname instead of the actual location, they will get errors on dashboards and some reports and displays.  These will not be too bad though, they will go away as when they start following links and menu options, they will be pushed on to the real url

Like Zack Loveless likes this
h-morales October 26, 2018

I tried it on my domain. But the problem is that the SSL is restricted only for atlassian domains:

The certificate is only valid for the following names: *.atlassian.net, atlassian.net Error code: SSL_ERROR_BAD_CERT_DOMAIN

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 26, 2018

Yep.  Another reason why it's pointless - you can play some tricks, but it's not really worth trying to pass through.

By all means, set up the cname, but point it at a web-page that simple redirects to the portal.

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question