Custom assignees for different workflow transitions

mohit ahluwalia May 29, 2017

Hi, 

I have a requirement to pre-define the assignees for different transitions in the workflow. However this needs to be done at the "Create Issue" stage itself as a part of that screen. 

For example: If there are 3 statuses for the job - Create Job, Design, Print - I would like to assign 3 seperate users for the above three states in the "Create Issue" screen itself.

Is this even possible? Looking forward to some help. Thanks!

1 answer

0 votes
Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 29, 2017

Hi Mohit,

you can create three custom fields for that:

• create assignee (planned)
  • design assignee (planned)
  • print assignee (planned)

of type User Picker

and then in your workflow post functions, assign the issue to the user from your custom fields.

mohit ahluwalia May 29, 2017

Thanks for the reply Thomas. I created the custom fields as mentioned by you, however when I am editing the Post Functions via "Add post function", I am unable to link the assignee for the new custom fields. I am unable to see the custom fields in the "Update issue" list. Screenshot attached. 

Let me know in case I am missing out on anything. I'm relatively new to JIRA. 

Screen Shot 2017-05-29 at 5.46.34 PM.png 

Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 29, 2017

Oh, I'm sorry, I used a free plugin for that function: Suite Utilities for Jira

With that plugin you can copy a value from other fields as well. 

Do you have your own installation or the cloud version of Jira? The plugin is not available for Cloud.

Mohit May 29, 2017

I have the cloud version :( 

Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 29, 2017

OK, then you could use the plugin "Jira Misc Workflow Extensions

This one is available for cloud instances, but it is not for free.

It gives you a workflow post function called "Copy Value from field to field". This will do the same as the suite utilities for Jira (and a lot more. We use both plugins for our workflows).

Mohit May 29, 2017

Awesome. Just tried it - works well. Thanks a lot for the help! 

Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 29, 2017

You're welcome :-)

If you think your question is answered, please mark it as answered, so other users will find answered questions faster. 

Suggest an answer