Custom Required Field Not Showing as Required

Jeffrey Cameron August 27, 2012

Hey all,

We have a custom issue type called Project Group. Project Group is a Multi Select field that appears on the Create Issue screen associated to our project. We created a field configuration and field configuration scheme that were associated to our project and in this field configuration we marked the Project Group field as Required.

The problem arises on the Create Issue screen. When the screen is rendered, these fields do not have the asterisk beside their name indicating that they are required. As well, if the user selects the "Configure Fields" option at the top of the Create Issue screen they do not see this field.

Our understanding was that the expected behaviour of a required field was that the user would not be able to deselect that field in the Configure Fields option of the Create Issue screen.

Is this a bug or expected behaviour that we just missed?

3 answers

0 votes
Andrew Pechnikov
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 27, 2012

So may be you need to configure Options for this field? Is it visible?

The field is visible. I put some more detail under the comments to Nic Brough's answer. The field is visible initially, but if I select Configure Fields and switch to a Custom view the field is not visible. If I enter nothing and try to create the issue I get an error message around the field.

0 votes
Andrew Pechnikov
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 27, 2012

If this customfield has been created with a plugin, check your paths to view and edit templates in atlassian-plugin.xml

This field wasn't created with a plugin unfortunately, thanks though :(

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 27, 2012

That really does sound like the field configuration you think you've got is not applied to the project and/or issue type. Could you check that VERY carefully? (It's the one I miss every time)

A further test - what happens when you actually create the issue and leave the field empty?

To double check this I verified this on the project's configuration page and added a couple of other custom fields to the page, marked them as required in the field configuration and they work as expected. One was a default text renderer field and the other was a Radio Buttons field. When I mark them as required in the field configuration they show up as "Required" on the Create Issue Screen and the user can not deselect them in the Configure Fields option.

Any other ideas ... ?

If I leave the the field empty and try to create the issue, I get an error message: "Project Group is required" ... so it is definitely behaving as if required, it's just not showing as such when I configuire the visible fields

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 27, 2012

That's good - it means the schemes are correctly set up and the mandatory check is working.

Unfortunately, I'm now stuck, because it really should be starring the fields on the screens. Are you on Jira 5.1? My test system shows them ok, so I'm lost. I'd also have a dig through the logs to see if there's any breaks there, but I'm clutching at straws.

Someone might ask this too, but what's the list of options on the project-group select? And have you modified any of the templates to maybe get rid of the "none" option? (Again, lots of straw-grasping here)

This is happening on Jira 5.1.2#773

I haven't modified any templates to get rid of the none option and the list of options is this:

• CAI Test Centre
  • Client
  • CPMD
  • CPMD SIS
  • CPMD_BSS
  • CSID_Dev
  • CSID_QA
  • DISS
  • EPTS
  • OID
  • QDRC
  • TASS (disabled)