Custom Notification Scheme - Wrong email generation

Pankaj Gupta July 24, 2017

Hi,

I am working on JIRA cloud and created a custom notification scheme for a project as below:

Issue Assigned - Current Assignee

All other events have single user email including event Issue Assigned which is mine, so expecting that whenever an issue is being assigned from one user to another, only new user should get the notification but it is going to existing user also from whom I am changing to. for eg:

If I am changing a bug from user A to B then expectation is that only user B should receive the email however A is also receiving.

could you please see if there is any further configuration change required for this?

1 answer

0 votes
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 26, 2017

JIRA is expected to notify both the current assignee and the new assignee on an event like this that changes the assignee.  I could understand if you did not want to have the original assignee get a notification of this event, but imagine you are the current assignee working on that issue when this assignment change happens.  If you were that assignee, I imagine you too would want to be notified that this issue is no longer your task to work on.

This functionality is also explained in the documentation: Creating a notification scheme.  Please see the very bottom of that article for this note.

That note also includes a work-around to this if you still want to change the notification like this, the advanced JIRA option of

jira.assignee.change.is.sent.to.both.parties=false

This would allow you to limit the notification of this event to just the new assignee, but only if editing the field directly.  It would still trigger the notification for both assignees if you used the Assign button to change the assignee.

Pankaj Gupta July 27, 2017

Thanks a lot Andrew, however I tried to find the option suggested by you in advanced settings but unable to find the same.

jira.assignee.change.is.sent.to.both.parties=false

Could you please suggest?

Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 27, 2017

Hi Pankaj,

I took a closer look at this, these advanced settings parameters cannot be added via the JIRA GUI.  However there is a way to enable such functionality through the use of the jira-config.properties file.  

There are steps on how to do this in a JIRA Server instance (such as How to edit the jira-config.properties file), but if you are on a Cloud instance you would not have the ability to do this yourself. 

You would need to open a support case on https://getsupport.atlassian.com in order to request that this option be enabled for your specific Cloud instance. 

Also this change will require that your JIRA instance be restarted after this change has been made to take effect.

Pankaj Gupta July 27, 2017

Thanks a lot Andrew, I will raise a request for this.

Suggest an answer