Custom Jira Filter Sorting

Jason Lang September 16, 2014

I would like to know how to custom sort my JIRA filter results columns so different statuses show in an order other than ASC or DESC.

In my status columns I would like to be able to place all my closed issues at the bottom of my filter list while having my open at the top.  We have other statuses that I would like in between those.

So if I ordered by status I would like the filter to show tickets in order or Open, In Dev, In QA, and Closed

Is there a way to do this in advanced filtering?

5 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Jose M.
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 16, 2014

Which resolution do you use for Open, Dev, QA, Closed ? Open is normally Unresolved. You can use the Resolution for sorting. Starting with the Unresolved i.e. Open issues.

15 votes
Kyle Mitofsky April 11, 2016

From the Stack Overflow question Custom 'ORDER BY' status in JIRA, the Status field has it's own sort order that is not governed by alphabetization, but by a custom order in as defined in Administration > Issues > Statuses (https://$JIRA_URL/secure/admin/ViewStatuses.jspa)

From there, you can reorder statuses up or down which governs how they show up when ordered in queries.

JIRA - Order Status.png

Ali Koray Hepşen March 28, 2018

Thank you. That really helped a lot 

Like # people like this
Heather R April 23, 2020

It's 2020 and this is still a really helpful post. Thank you!

Guilhem December 23, 2020

Indeed !

1 vote
Udo Brand
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 16, 2014

It is not possible but you can use a workaround. Set in those transition another customfield with some order values (1-9 or A-Z) and then do an order by on that field instead on the status field.

hanks Udo, Can you please explain in more detail? Are you saying you can have more than one field/column linked to a transition? So in the admin when I set up transitions from status Open to closed there is a way to also link Open transition to 1 and Closed to 2? Do you know where there are directions on how to do this?

Udo Brand
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 16, 2014

Well, when you transition an issue to closed set in a post function a (new) custom field (named e.g. statusorder) to "Z". Do this in all transitions with an according letter so you get your desired order of your statuses. So an order by "statusorder" will result in the correct order of you status (closed as last, etc.)

0 votes
Danish Thomas March 5, 2018

When I try to do a sorting, it not showing in the order.. It shows, 1. 10, 11, 12,... 19, then 2, 20, 21...

How to fix this issue?

László Kocsis February 15, 2019

use 01 and 02 instead of 1 and 2

Like Noam Guttman likes this
0 votes

Thanks Udo,

Can you please explain in more detail?  Are you saying you  can have more than one field/column linked to a  transition?  So in the admin when I set up transitions from status Open to closed there is a way to also link Open transition to 1 and Closed to 2?

Do you know where there are directions on how to do this?

Suggest an answer