Custom Fields, Context and Project Category

B November 27, 2013

Hello,

Currently when I create a custom field I have to select which project is in the context. But my problem is I got like a thousand of project so first I have to find it in the list.

Moreover, if I want to add a new project I have to find it and CTRL + Select it to not override the first and forget the older projects.

Is it possible to select a Project Category as Context and then all the project in it will get this custom field. If would be much easier to do this and less adminstration configuration to do. I mean if I create a new project I just have to select its Category and it will get all custom fields of the category and I don't have to remember each custom field to add this new project to the context.

Thanks ahead.

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
B November 28, 2013
0 votes
Peter Van de Voorde
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 27, 2013

Hi BHMath,

currently that's not possible, but I think it's a great suggestion :)

You might make it into a feature request here : https://jira.atlassian.com

What you could do at the moment is simply make the field available for all projects and use a field configuration scheme to simply hide in the projects where it should not be available.

Or you could use different screens (some that contain the field, some that don't).

Or do a combination of both.

BTW: 1000 projects? How many users do you have and how are they using projects?

Best regards,

Peter

B November 27, 2013

Yeah I'm already doing a mix of what you proposed but I think this would be much easier ;)

I don't have actually 1000 projects but I got a lot. My JIRA is mutualized between different entities in my company that's why.

Peter Van de Voorde
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 27, 2013

ok, then I would simply say : request it as a new feature and get people to vote on it. You can do that here : https://jira.atlassian.com

Good luck

Peter

Suggest an answer