Custom Field to include in the API request but not in the Customer UI

karlo_sabay June 15, 2016

Is there any work around with this scenario

I am creating "Request" via the Service Desk API (see image below)

ServiceDeskRequestTypes.png

The problem is, I don't want to show the "Request Type" custom field to the user nor hide it from them. I just want to update it "behind" via the REST API.

But I am getting error in the API request if I remove the custom field from fields of the fields of the Request type.

I want to remove the custom field in the customer UI but i want it in the requestFieldValues of the API call so that I can update it. 

Is there any work around with this case? 

Cheers,

Karlo

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 15, 2016

The REST interface respects what you have set up in the screens, so no, you're going to have to think about this differently.

I suspect the only way you'll get to do this would be to move the "edit" of this field into the workflow (have transitions that go back to the same status, with a screen with your field on it), so you can use conditions to protect the editing of the field from users - you'll need to grant the REST user you're updating with the right setup to use the transitions, and not the users.

karlo_sabay June 16, 2016

Thanks for the response. The other workaround that I was thinking is just "Update" the "Request" after it was created, but seems like there's no Update Request API currently.

karlo_sabay June 16, 2016

@Nic Brough [Adaptavist] I was also thinking if it is possible to create a "Request Type" that is hidden from the customer portal. It was not possible in the admin settings but maybe we can do that manually in the JIRA database?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 16, 2016

Yes, you could do some updates if the API supported it.  I've not looked at doing that in the Service Desk API though, so I don't know enough about it.  If you can't find an update, then my guess is they haven't enabled it (yet)

Do NOT even think about doing this in the database.  Messing with a JIRA database is a nightmare and almost always leads to "ok, I'll go get the backup tapes".  Also, I don't know how you think you might be doing it in the database either - the database stores stuff, it doesn't control the business logic around who can do what.

Suggest an answer