Custom Field setting default value all the time

Chris Rondeau
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 27, 2014

We have a custom field, whose default value was (TBD). For some reason, it decided to update the field to the default value at every opportunity, overwriting previous values with the default at transitions, edit, resolved. I removed the default value, and now it's inserting (None) instead of (TBD) still overwriting values. I created a new context with the same values, and the same behaviour continues.

I am preparing to delete the context, re-index, create a new context and associate it.

Has anyone else run into this type of behaviour, I'm more than a bit baffled. It's only happening on one project system wide, the other projects seem to be ok. Something must have gotten corrupted somewhere, but I have no idea where.

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Chris Rondeau
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 3, 2014

So it appears that creating a custom context is basically the same as creating a new field. In that database pointers get updated. The field was exhibiting this behaviour, I assume because with the context data updated, it assumed existing data in the fields was either bad or empty defaulting to (None) or (TBD) depending on the setting.

I searched by Project and the Custom Field, changing the field data (in this case teams) from the "old" value to the "new" (same) value.

0 votes
Luther Hargrove
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 27, 2014

Do you have any custom javascript for this field in the field description? It might be there setting the default value for you. That is my only thought. Deleting the context, reindexing and readding the context should get rid of that if not. Definitely a strange issue.

Chris Rondeau
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 27, 2014

No there is no javascript in the field, or any of the workflows associated with it. Still baffled, but the beer I had with lunch helps.

Suggest an answer