Custom Field masking (I don't know what to name it)

Darly Senecal-Baptiste
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 3, 2013
Hello Community: I have too many custom fields in which I would end up in a redundant way for project workflows. Let me give you an example: I have two custom fields: One is called Technical Review Notes and the other is called Business Review Notes. The Technical Review Notes is at the Technical Tab of the View Screen and the Business Review Notes is at the Business Field. (Which I will end up in redundancy). What I want is find a way that both of the fields names to be called or showed to the user as Review Notes but that keeps their original names at the "backend". Can you guys help me? Thanks

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
MatthewC
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 4, 2013

You can just rename the existing custom fields so that they are both called "Review Notes" and haev them on the screen under the business & technical tabs respectively. The problem may be, how do you tell them apart. It's fine on the view/edit screens but when it comes to the issue navigator, they would look the same. You'd have to add a description so people could see which is which.

Not sure what you mean by keeping the same names in the backend. Even when you rename a field, it keeps the same ID.

Darly Senecal-Baptiste
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 4, 2013

Matthew:

What if I put different descriptions?

MatthewC
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 4, 2013

You'll see the descriptions on the screens and the issue navigator so that will help, you just won't see them on Admin screens when configuring screens. It's only a small issue

Suggest an answer