Custom Field masking (I don't know what to name it)

Hello Community: I have too many custom fields in which I would end up in a redundant way for project workflows. Let me give you an example: I have two custom fields: One is called Technical Review Notes and the other is called Business Review Notes. The Technical Review Notes is at the Technical Tab of the View Screen and the Business Review Notes is at the Business Field. (Which I will end up in redundancy). What I want is find a way that both of the fields names to be called or showed to the user as Review Notes but that keeps their original names at the "backend". Can you guys help me? Thanks

1 answer

1 accepted

You can just rename the existing custom fields so that they are both called "Review Notes" and haev them on the screen under the business & technical tabs respectively. The problem may be, how do you tell them apart. It's fine on the view/edit screens but when it comes to the issue navigator, they would look the same. You'd have to add a description so people could see which is which.

Not sure what you mean by keeping the same names in the backend. Even when you rename a field, it keeps the same ID.

Matthew:

What if I put different descriptions?

You'll see the descriptions on the screens and the issue navigator so that will help, you just won't see them on Admin screens when configuring screens. It's only a small issue

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Published Monday in Jira Software

How large do you think Jira Software can grow?

Hi Atlassian Community! My name is Shana, and I’m on the Jira Software team. One of the many reasons this Community exists is to connect you to others on similar product journeys or with comparabl...

556 views 6 12
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you