Custom Field - lost data after migration

S September 14, 2014

Hello,

We have migrated from JIRA 4.3 to 6.2 and we are lost some custom fields values during this process.
For example, project name ABC, field name - Severity, values - from 0 to 5.

After migration all values set to 'none'.

How can I get: issue numbers, for custom field name 'Severity' (with CF values)  for project ABC from old database (SQL query)? 

Many thanks!

2 answers

1 vote
Todd Hlavacek October 6, 2014

Posted a similar issue over here... https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/9389045  Posting in case the answer pops up over there that may help people searching for this particular issue.

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 14, 2014

How did you do the migration?  This simply shouldn't have happened if you upgraded correctly, and I'd be very concerned that you could have lost all sorts of other data.

S September 14, 2014

Hi Nic,

thanks for your answer.

The migration was performed by our partners and I don't know the details. Unfortunately I have no contact with this guy for some reason, and I must resolve this issue by myself. Also, the old JIRA instance (4.3) currently down, so I have access to the database only...

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 14, 2014

Oh dear. You could be in a lot of trouble here. It sounds like your partner has botched your upgrade. There's no real way to rescue that other than go back to 4.3 and re-do it properly. Attempting to recreate bits of the data might help get it back, but it's going to be very hard work and you still don't know what else is missing. Your field data is kept in customfieldvalue in the database, but you'll need to join that to jiraissue to establish which issues the data is linked to, and customfield to work out what the field type is and how to read it. Note - I can NOT recommend trying to wedge it back in using SQL, you really need to be doing it manually with bulk-edit, the CLI plugin, Jelly or REST scripts of some sort. But I'd be trying to find your partner to find out why they've messed this up and get them to fix it properly.

S September 14, 2014

Yep, I know that this is a big problem :( But I just want to see which issues losing their values, to start with something. Unfortunately I'm not a big expert on mysql, so I don't know how to do this correctly...

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 14, 2014

I don't think there's an easy way to do this. The structure of the data around custom fields has not changed hugely from 4 to 6, so if you write the SQL to fetch data from the old 4 database using the tables and joins I mentioned before, you can use the same SQL to extract from the 6 database, so that's your starting point. But you've still got the howling problem that you don't know what else might be broken.

Suggest an answer