Custom Field label display truncation

WD Balaban August 2, 2012

We have discovered as we are migrating from V4.2 to V5.1 that the display of verbose custom field names use to text autowrap on the issue view display and now the fields are truncated to some length and "..." suffix is added.

We have yet to find a setting/control for this new undesirable "feature".

7 answers

0 votes
Jason Brison
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 26, 2012

We had a similar issue when we moved to 5.0.x with the side bar. Some of our group names were long and in 5.0.x this became an issue since they made the sidebar narrower. For the sidebar we fixed the issue by changing:

However now that we're on 5.2 I can't find where to make these changes, or where to fix the now broken custom_field lengths.

0 votes
Tommy Nordahl
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 10, 2012

I'll add that to the improvement request.

Thanks.

Br
Tommy

WD Balaban October 16, 2012

Perhaps the same modification made to the appropriate file will address. However identifying the appropriate file has proven to be quite a challenge.

WD Balaban October 16, 2012

This is a partial solution, i.e., the cropping of custom fields, but does not address the button text.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRAKB/Custom+Field+Width+Less+than+Available+Options+Length

0 votes
Tommy Nordahl
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 10, 2012

New answer from our friends at Atlassian:

=======

Sorry for the delayed response here, as things were pretty tight on my side earlier today. Anyway, I did a quick check on the matter and found that the Issue View screen is only able to render custom fields name properly if they are less than 20 characters. Names that are more than 20 characters will be truncated in the screen.

Hence, I have raised an improvement request addressing the matter, and I suggest that it will be great if the field name are wrapped instead like in JIRA 5.0.x:

I hope that the details included in the improvement should described the behavior well, however feel free to add your comment there if you have any further feedback on the matter.

I am sorry again for not being able to further assist you on the matter. Anyway Tommy, I will proceed in closing this ticket now. Since we don't have the resolution Won't Fix here, I will close it as 'Confirmed Feature Request' instead. Feel free to reach out to us again should you have any further inquiry or problem.

Wish you have a pleasant day.
=======

Br

Tommy

WD Balaban September 10, 2012

The same problem exists with transition button text. Do I need to write this up as another issue?

0 votes
Tommy Nordahl
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 9, 2012

I have now received the final comments from Atlassian:

=====

I had a look further into this, yet I am unable to come up with the solution to increase the width of the Custom Field name section as well, I am deeply sorry about this.

Hence, perhaps we may go for our alternative here which is to develop a plugin, or a custom JavaScript to manipulate the HTML element in the View Issue screen. I would like to assist further on this topic, but since my resources on development matter is limited, I am sorry that I may not be able to help out much on this.
======

Riada will start investigating if we could provide a solution for this to the market since we believe that visualising longer field names than 17 characters should be possible.

I'll keep you posted on our progress.
Br

Tommy

0 votes
Tommy Nordahl
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 6, 2012

Atlassian says:

Thanks for contacting Atlassian Support, I am pleased to meet you.

Going through our issue description here, I understand that long custom fields name are truncated in the View Issue screen. Hence, we are looking for a possibility to increase custom fields name section, in order to accommodate the long field name. Can you kindly confirm if this is true?

Anyway if this is the case, at the moment I am yet to confirm on how we can achieve this. Hence, kindly allow me a bit time to look into the matter. I'll try to find any possible workaround for us, but it looks like customization may be required to achieve this. Since customization is not supported I may not be able to guarantee if I can provide a solution for this, but I'll try to look into it first.

WD Balaban September 9, 2012

>>>> Can you kindly confirm if this is true? Confirmed. Examples shown in thread origin should be self evident.

0 votes
WD Balaban September 5, 2012

Since discovering this (and continuing to investigate) we have found not one reference to this GUI change. Very dissappointing.

Tommy Nordahl
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 5, 2012

I have just added a formal bug report to Atlassian, I'll post their response in this thread.
Br
Tommy

0 votes
Tommy Nordahl
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 5, 2012

We are experiencing the same problem. Can someone figure out how this can be fixed?

Suggest an answer