Custom Field file - server side

Marco Colageo May 27, 2013

Hi all,

Which is the JIRA server-side file that contains the Custom Field definitions?

Thanks

Marco

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 27, 2013

That's not really a question we can answer, it's a bit too vague.

You might mean "which jar/class/vm/etc files define how a custom field type works", or "when I add a custom field and name it Fred, where does that get stored?". In the first case, you'll need to tell us what you're looking for in more detail. In the second case, the answer is "there is no file, it's in the database".

Marco Colageo May 27, 2013

Hi, I've got the point. I need to delete the definition of a custom field whose description contains js and html. That js/html code is causing problems with the Custom Field page in the administration section ( the cog icon does not work more!!!).

Cheers

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 27, 2013

Ok, you don't mean "files" then. The definition of a custom field is held in the database, and you'll need to amend that directly.

You could render your Jira completely unusable if you get any SQL wrong, and I certainly wouldn't try to delete a custom field with SQL.

What I would do is

• Backup your database
  • Stop Jira
  • Use SQL to amend the description of the field to something like "please remove me"
  • Restart Jira

Note that steps 1 and 2 really are mandatory. Never use SQL on a running Jira, and never run SQL against Jira without a backup...

That will make the cogs work, won't lose you any data and will let you continue working with the field (including deleting it if you're sure you don't want it any more).

From memory, your SQL needs to amend the table "customfield"

0 votes
Timothy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 27, 2013

You are looking for this folder.

atlassian-jira/WEB-INF/classes/templates/plugins/fields

0 votes
Timothy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 27, 2013

You are looking for this folder.

atlassian-jira/WEB-INF/classes/templates/plugins/fields

Suggest an answer