Custom Field contexts - Am I missing something?

kevin conroy May 9, 2017

Our company-wide Jira Instance has 100+ projects across many subsiduaries. My team, with their 20 projects have 10 really useful custom fields that they need in addition to the standard items.

I can add these fields to a default screen set, and easily associate this set of screens (screen scheme) to my projects. If I clone a project, this screen scheme gets copied too.

I can do all of this without disturbing the other 90 or so projects.

But create a custom field? I cannot find such scheme paradigm. I have to manually, for each CF, select which project to add it to from a multi-select list of 100+ projects.

Create a new project? I have to update each of ten CF's to add that project to their context.

This is so stupid, I must be missing a trick. There must be some way of grouping my ten CF's together into a group, rather than selecting "global context" and adding this new CF to every project in the instance.

What have I missed?

2 answers

1 vote
Russell Zera
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 9, 2017

I want to restate to ensure I'm understanding the ask.

You are creating a new custom field, and when you do you are selecting what projects to associate the custom field to? Or are you saying with a new custom field, when you create a context within that custom field, the process of mapping the specific context of that custom field to the projects?

If you are talking about the former, then Field Configurations is where it's at. If the later, there is no shortcut... but having as little difference between projects (ie standardization) is advisable to reduce administrator overhead on your system down the line.

At last year's summit there was a presentation by James Hunt entitled "5 Admins for 60,000 users" that dove into configuration efficiencies that I thought was very insightful and should be a goal of every large instance admin. 
<link>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDd1HPfHdnU&index=53&list=PLaD4FvsFdarTmpgtNkuyG7tfyjnBa4Ib1&t=25s 

Hopefully this helps.

kevin conroy May 10, 2017

Interesting talk but it was mainly "use Crowd, tweak the Cache, use Service Desk for sys admin"

Nothing about the grief or otherwise of Custom Field management across projects.

Russell Zera
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 10, 2017

Yeah, my main take-aways and items I've looked at implementing are standardized project configs with 3-5 variants and setting up a 'shopping cart' style system for newly requested projects to go through and order the different existing configs and features they want. That was the part that I really liked the most.

Alternate thought (I thought about this last night as a method I used to use) If you are running JIRA Server, you could always edit the configs on the back-end and copy the CFs you want to use as a 'template' and then paste that config into your newly created CF. If you're good digging around and editing that way, and you have a lot of projects and don't want to always multi-select, that could save you a lot of time.

0 votes
MattS
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 9, 2017

The idea is to define an Issue Type Screen Scheme (ITSS) that has a few screens. Use that ITSS on all the projects that should have the same sets of fields in their issues. Then adding a new custom field just means adding it to a few screens.

kevin conroy May 10, 2017

Hey matt, thanks for the reply - that's EXACTLY how it looks to me; make all CF's global context, then make the grouping via ITSS;

it's easy to make a screen scheme for a project class eg:

• All mobile SW development ITSS
  • All CRM ITSS
  • All Factory Manufacturing ITSS

And control the "visibility" of the CF's that way

It's not ideal, because if you wanted a CF in two of those ITSS's, but with different values, say, for a drop down, you'd still have to manage the project context by hand on the CF in question.

It's still a grade-a PITA, which I'm (not) surprised Atlassian hasn't addressed.  I'm not afraid of automating it via some REST i/f - but there isn't one.  Some hints of a possible hack via the Java API

Suggest an answer