Custom Field Default Value

Aamer Inam: M-3521 October 21, 2014

Hello,

I have created a custom field which is displayed on default issue screen. This is LOV with single selection. I have mapped this field with all the issues and with a particular project. Custom field is added on the Default screen which is called when user view, edit or look at issue screen. when i edit it, system still displays None as default value instead of default value I have set.

Please guide what step is missing. Thanks. 

7 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Juan Felipe Cardona
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 21, 2014

Hello

You probably have different contexts for that specific field. If so, you have to set the default value in the appropriate context.

You can check going to Custom Fields and selecting the Configure option for the field you are having trouble with.

all settings were correct as per your kind feedback but when i would see list of items and click edit button, system was showing None instead of default value I set. what I did to correct it is that i made it required and this value started appearing and i verified this by hitting the edit button and checking respective value.

Juan Felipe Cardona
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 22, 2014

Of course... there's that also... :-) you will always get None if the field is not required. Thank you!

Gobinath Thiyagarajan June 5, 2018

I have default value as None but when ever I selected value and saved issues , then clicking edit it shows only default not selected value . 

Do we have any solution for this ?

1 vote
Allen Chun September 13, 2018

According to this documentation.  You can specify by going to custom field > the click the cog on your desired field then configure there you can see the Default Value

Example screenshot:

Screenshot 2018-09-13 18.09.25.png

Kirill Ilinich November 19, 2019

Not working

0 votes
Karthikeya G February 6, 2023

I am also facing the same issue even though I have set Default Value for a Single Select Dropdown, Still it showing none.

JIRA-custom-field.jpg

Isssue-default-select.jpg

0 votes
Udo Brand
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 21, 2014

I think, the default value will only be displayed when a fields ist displayed the first time. In your case in create step.

See documentation :"To edit the default value that a custom field contains when it is first displayed to a user:"

0 votes
Ollie Guan
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 21, 2014

When you create, see if there is a default value?  

Suggest to check the workflow of Create issue post function, whether some action empty the default value

0 votes

This part is done. Still wondering what is missing =)

I made it required and by default it started showing by the crazy default value =) . Thanks all

0 votes
Ollie Guan
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 21, 2014

Whether to set default values for it in Configure Custom Field?

default.jpg

Suggest an answer