Custom Database Field not retrieving data after upgrade to 6.0.2

Humberto Madeira June 13, 2013

Originally, this was set up to read via a JNDI database name, now with 6.0.2 we use dbconfig.xml to name the database and the custom database field is not able to read from it.

How do I restore the custom database field's capability?

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Humberto Madeira June 16, 2013

As it turned out, after some experimentation, the problem was the persistence manager in config.xml Previously it was set to

<Manager className="org.apache.catalina.session.PersistentManager" saveOnRestart="false">

The recommended setting in 6.0.2 is

<Manager pathname=""/>

It turns out that the previous persistence manager setting never works when a JNDI resource is defined in the config.xml and it mostly works when the JNDI entry is omitted.

We were using the old persistence manager, so we had to remove the JNDI entry and try a few times to launch Jira.

By going to the new, recommended persitence manager setting, we were able to launch with the JNDI resource defined.

1 vote
Alexandru_Iacob
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 16, 2013

You should define your data source in the context.xml file, under the JIRA_HOME/conf folder, as described here: http://confluence.kepler-rominfo.com/display/DBCF/Data+Source+Configuration.

Actually I was already aware of this answer from the custom database field documentation, but it doesn't fully address the problem.

I tried with setting up a JNDI resource in config.xml (the way it used to be) and Jira failed to load at all. I had to back that out so I could keep the Jira instance running while I figured it out.

Alexandru_Iacob
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 16, 2013

What was the error in the log when setting the JNDI resource in the context.xml file? I have tested on Jira 6.0.2 and it works fine declaring the data source as described in documentation.

There was no error or even any progress trace in the Jira log. I don't think Jira ever got close to launching. The tomcat log had

SEVERE: No Store configured, persistence disabled

Suggest an answer