Currently logged in users

DJX
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 5, 2013

Is it possible to find a list of the currently logged in users? I've seen some SQL that use the cwd_user_attributes table - but this seems to return bad data (it shows users as having logged in today when I know they have never logged in)

I've also seen a suggestion of using the atlassian-jira-user-logging.log, but this is also time consuming.

I mostly want this to see how active the system is at certain times of the day, and also so I can find the optimum time to do restarts and reindexes etc.

6 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Rahul Aich [Nagra]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 5, 2013

Did you try to see user sessions feature on JIRA Admin tab.

It is not unique users but tell you how many sessions are active and which user has logged into those sessions.

DJX
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 5, 2013

This is helpful, but it doesn't allow me to sort by date to determine who is currently logged in (or even just most recently). I still have to go dig through the pages. Thanks for the suggestion though.

DI2E Licensing
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 13, 2014

I, too, want to know the best time for maintenance. I haven't found any reference to atlassian-jira-user-logging.log. I'm using splunk so this may be a workable solultion for me. Can you point me to where you saw this referenced? And if you have any other solutions I'd love to hear them. THanks.

DJX
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 9, 2014

Sorry - it's been so long since I wrote this that I have no idea where I was looking when I saw the user logging reference.

4 votes
James Brown June 1, 2018

It would be nice if Atlassian would comment on this question with a ticket that has been opened or a workaround that they use

AnnWorley
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 1, 2018

The current logged in users are shown on the page: <Jira_Base_URL>secure/admin/CurrentUsersList.jspa:

Screen Shot 2018-06-01 at 1.46.39 PM.png

Like # people like this
Luke Galardi August 12, 2018

Thank You Ann!  I just found this and it is very helpful.  Is the current users list a page recently added to Jira?  Is there similar for confluence?

Many Thanks!

Deleted user June 14, 2019

Thanks for pointing to this!! Very handy. I noticed a few "Not Available" under the "Session Id" and "User" columns in my list. They have IP Addresses and all the rest of the column for those entries (Last Accessed and Session Creation, for instance) have actual data, so I'm not sure why the Session Id and User info would be "Not Available".

Are these possibly some scheduled sessions that occur as part of some built-in process? I'm just asking because I want to make sure these aren't some sort of hacking attempt. I plan on checking the IP Addresses listed with my CTS folks, but thought I should check here for a rational explanation.

Thanks again for the tip!!

Deleted user June 14, 2019

Answering my own question. The "Not Available" listings are offsite users logging in remotely. All set! :)

Like # people like this
Rajiv April 7, 2020

@AnnWorley  . I could not load the URL. 

2 votes
Luke Galardi August 12, 2018

See the answer posted by Atlassian on 06/01/18  in a post above

The current logged in users are shown on the page: <Jira_Base_URL>secure/admin/CurrentUsersList.jspa:

1 vote
Jose Ramirez September 27, 2017

Greetings,

It's been 4 years since this post, and several full revisions later. I have the same question, and it is a security issue to have to log into the server every time I need to check current user count. Has anyone provided a web interface solution to this question ?

0 votes
DJX
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 9, 2014

Again, this issue appears to have no clear solution built-in to JIRA. The answer to this question (as with many others) appears to be: BYOF (Bring Your Own Fix)

@Rahulmentions that you could look at the user sessions, but this doesn't help you identify which users have simply left work for the day with the browser window open on your JIRA instance.

The best way I've found to be sure of activity is to look at the access_log file (which may be what @DI2E was hinting at) , because it will show the individual requests and their time. This makes it possible to see how many people are actually active in the system.

0 votes
DI2E Licensing
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 13, 2014

I enabled logging of http events. (https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA061/Logging+and+Profiling) If you have splunk, extracting activity from atlassian-jira-http-access.log is very straightforward. Even without splunk, it can't be that difficult. If your http access drops to nothing, then you have your answer.

At least that's my current plan to answer the same question you have re. maintenance windows.

Hope this helps.

Suggest an answer