Crowd mapped with LDAP but unable to find user in crowd even after first time failed login

Shalini basavapatnakeshava January 11, 2015

Hi,

We have a setup where we have crowd authentication and this is linked with JIRA,confluence,Stash,SVN. However crowd is mapped with LDAP as well. But we need the user to login for the first time to any of the applications linked with crowd, only after that we are able to add the user in crowd - after caching happens in crowd. Can you please help me understand this situation?

There is a user with valid userid and password and has logged in once - failed login to JIRA or confluence and then when i check the user is not present in crowd and hence not able to add the user. Can you please help?

Thanks

Shalini

2 answers

0 votes
Judy Schneider October 28, 2015

@Caspar Krieger  I disagree with the suggested fix.  If Crowd is configured with a Delegated Authentication Directory, the most likely reason is that the company doesn't want to import all their users.

If the username and password have been confirmed to be right, the next thing to check is the filter settings for your Delegated Authentication Directory.  In Crowd, go to Directories and look for the one with a "Type" of "Delegated Authentication Directory".  Check the settings on the Configuration tab.  It may well be that the directory is limited to checking a specific OU or type of user in your LDAP database.  If your new user falls outside of the specified filters, it won't be imported into Crowd.

Reneesh Kottakkalathil
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 7, 2018

@Shalini basavapatnakeshavaWere you able to resolve this issue? I think we're also running into similar issue.

0 votes
Caspar Krieger
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 11, 2015

It sounds like Crowd is connected to your LDAP server using a delegated authentication directory, which syncs only users who try to log in, and only at the time of login. Try configuring a new directory which is an LDAP Connector, which would synchronise the full set of users to Crowd (and subsequently to your apps connected to Crowd), and reconfigure your applications in Crowd to use that instead.

Re your one problem user who doesn't seem to be appearing, check the Crowd logs to see if there are any messages regarding that user. The user might have extra spaces or strange characters in their username (or other attributes) which is preventing them from being sync'd on their login attempt.

Suggest an answer