Crowd alias fails after upgrade with Confluence and JIRA SSO

Alexander Wolden April 18, 2013

Crowd: 2.6.0

Confluence: 4.3.7

Jira: 5.2.10

After upgrading from Crowd 2.3 to Crowd 2.6, user aliases are no longer working.

When a user attempts to log in to jira or confluence with their alias it returns "invalid signin", but it still generates a SSO cookie with a crowd token. When I go in to the administration section of JIRA and Confluence and test crowd authentication, all of the users authenticate correctly. So, confluence and jira are able to authenticate the user but they don't seem to be able to recognize the SSO token generated for an aliased user.

Interestingly, if the user logs into crowd with their original username the generated SSO token is accepted by both confluence and jira. JIRA and confluence can't generate a valid SSO token for an aliased user, but CROWD can.

I would attach an error log but there isn't one. No errors are generated and nothing of any significance is in the log other than "xxxxmember failed to authenticate"

Any help with this would be appreciated.

3 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
darylchuah
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 20, 2013

Hi Alex

Very unforunately, I guess your current situation has bump into this bug report which is actually a known issues for Crowd 2.6 : https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CWD-2814

Please feel free to comment and add yourself as watcher in order to receive any latest updates from the developer and feedback from other user that is facing the same issue.

Hope it helps !

Cheers :)

Alexander Wolden April 21, 2013

Thanks Daryle.

Upgrading to crowd 2.6.2 fixed the issue.

0 votes
EddieW
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 19, 2013

Based on your comment about working in Crowd, but not the tools, I get the feeling you are trying to use their Crowd username to login.

My understanding of aliases was for adding Crowd to an existing infrastructure where each tool already had usernames assigned. Aliases will not allow the user to login under a single name across all tools.

They must use their specific alias cofigured for that tool. Crowd will then allow the SSO cookie to be used anywhere.

Alexander Wolden April 19, 2013

I was using the alias correctly. The aliasing has been working for the better part of a year since we started using it, but recently with an upgrade to from crowd 2.3 to crowd 2.6 the aliasing completely broke.

EddieW
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 20, 2013

Apologies, didn't see any mention of this ever working, I edited your question to reflect that this _did_ work, but no longer does. Please note if anything else in the environment changed.

0 votes
EddieW
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 19, 2013

Based on your comment about working in Crowd, but not the tools, I get the feeling you are trying to use their Crowd username to login.

My understanding of aliases was for adding Crowd to an existing infrastructure where each tool already had usernames assigned. Aliases will not allow the user to login under a single name across all tools.

They must use their specific alias cofigured for that tool. Crowd will then allow the SSO cookie to be used anywhere.

Suggest an answer