Critical bug fixes on an Enterprise release after maintenance ends?

Wendy Calderone October 28, 2019

Enterprise releases are now called Long Term Support releases

As of June 29th, 2020, Enterprise releases are now called Long Term Support releases. The security bug fix policy for these releases was also updated - we will continue to backport critical security bug fixes and now when architecturally possible, all other security bug fixes are backported to the release for 24 months. To learn more about this change, view our Community post.

I know that I can upgrade to the newest enterprise release level before my maintenance ends and that enterprise release is supported at Atlassian for 2 years after it is released.  If my maintenance window has ended, will I still get the critical bug fixes that are back ported to my enterprise release?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Mike Rathwell
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 28, 2019

Hi @Wendy Calderone ,

As I understand the licensing/support coincidence, you can update to any version (including minor bug and security releases) released prior to your maintenance expiring. As such, for example, if a critical bug fix is released after maintenance expiry, you are out of luck for that one.

Wendy Calderone October 28, 2019

Thanks Mike.  But if I update to an enterprise release, those are supported for critical fixes for a period of 2 years, and the fixes are back-ported to the version.  If I have that enterprise release version on a server (not using it in the cloud), how do I get the critical bug updates which have been back-ported to the version that I am on (and how am I notified that there are fixes back-ported to my version)?

Mike Rathwell
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 28, 2019

That is correct as far as it goes. However, while the enterprise release is updated, if you're not under maintenance, you wouldn't be able to put on the patch. The scenario would be (anat d using the new Jira 8.5.x Enterprise Release as the example with hypothetical dates and assuming you had maintenance until Nov 30)

• Oct 31 8.5.1 released; you can install
  • Nov 29, 8.5.2 released; you can install
  • Nov 30, Maintenance expires
  • Dec 1, 8.5.3 released; you can't install because release date is after maintenance ended.

Basically, Atlassian is saying they will updated the Enterprise Release minor version for a period of 2 yrs without requiring you to move to the next minor release to get bug and security fixes for that minor release. This is important to many so that a stable, known compatible, and static feature set for an extended period is important. This allows them to keep that and still get bugs and security fixed.

What they're not saying is that you get the 2 yrs of bug and security fixes on the LTS if you are not under support.

Suggest an answer