Creator should not be able to open the issue he created.

Niklas July 8, 2015

Dear Atlassian community,

this is my first question here, please be nice smile.

I have created a new purchase order project where the creator of the issue shall not be able to open it, I have already looked at all possibilities in the workflow diagram but I did not find anything usefull...the create transition only allows validators and post functions. I have used the "seperate Duties" condition for other transitions but it is not able to apply here.

Please help.

Thanks,

Niklas

workflow 3.0.PNG

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 8, 2015

The visibility of an issue is not a function of the workflow.  

A user can see an issue if they match the permission scheme - specifically look at the "browse" permission.   It is possible to give a user "create" without giving them "browse", which allows them to create issues that they then can't actually see.  (Unless I have misunderstood your question, that is what you are describing here?  If I am wrong, please tell me, I often misread and don't get offended by corrections)

There is also a way to do it with "issue security", but that's quite complex - start by checking if the project has an "issue security scheme" set - if it doesn't, then this is not the problem.

Niklas July 8, 2015

Hi Nic, first of all thank you for your answer! This project is actully a test project for me, the apprentice, where I should train my skills in JIRA. So this is the part of the task where I am stuck: "a) Initial status is "Recorded" b) Then we want to have "Open" ->i) As expenses need to be reduced we want to make sure that the reporter cannot do so ("open the issue")" I hope this makes clear what I want to do(?). I would guess my instructor wants me to do it by the hard "issue security" way... Thanks in advance!

Niklas July 8, 2015

PS: The "Issue security is currently not enabled for this project."

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 8, 2015

Ok, there's two things here and I think it's worth separating them out for clarity. First, there is the *visibility* of the issue. Can a user *see* the issue at all? This is controlled by the permission scheme I mentioned above (and security scheme if you used it). Second, there is the workflow. This is the *process* an issue goes through. You want a process that begins with Recorded, then flows to Open, then, presumably continues forward. Open up the workflow you have for this and edit it. I assume you already have the status of Recorded and Open in it (if not, then add them). Go find the transition that is labelled with "Create" and edit that. You should find you can change the "target" from "open" to "recorded". Make sure you have a transition that goes from Recorded to Open. Save the workflow. Now, when your user creates an issue, it will land in Recorded. However, they will be able to see that they can move it to "open" too. Go back to the workflow and edit it again. Look at the Recorded -> Open workflow, and look for the "conditions". Add one to the transition, you want to make it do something like "user must be in group 'authorisors'" or something.

Suggest an answer