Creating professional Documents with Jira

Hello,

one big question. Is it possible to create CI conform documents with Jira or any Plug-In? Documents like product concept cataloque, requirments specification, design specification, test plan, Testspecification and test result. Important for me are different things. Unique placement of issues in one document. An issue can never be place inside twice documents. The document shall include a CI conform head sheet, a change history, a table content, a figure content, a content a all and the possibiliy to include extra text, figures, tables as well as issues. The presentation of issues should be detailed and not in table view. The field members of the detail view should be configurable. Must have field are ID, title, description, workflow status, back linked and linked issues, assignee.

Nice feature would be to export the created documents in word and the documents can be exported in word and inported later back to Jira with its changes and Jira can regognized the changes and update its database.

I need a function for baselining these created dokuments at any time during the project runtime.

At the moment I see Jira more as a tool for agile developement processes but I need this tool for projects for the medical market and for the areospace market with a huge documentation part. These two markets are often doing development with a V-Model or a Waterfall model as development process. Th design the workflow for these two development process models is not a problem for me. The problem is the documentation and creating CI conform dokuments.

Has anybody an idea how to do this or what I need to do this?

Best regards

Jonathan von Wittern

9 answers

1 accepted

Hello,

i was vistiting the community day in Munich and I got some answers from the project manager as well as from other users and administrators. I think Jira is the wrong tool for such a kind of work. Difficult to report this to my general manager...

...best regards

Jonathan

1 votes
Henning Tietgens Community Champion Feb 26, 2014

If you have all the information stored within JIRA issues maybe you could use JIRA PDF View Plugin to create the needed documents.

IT is a beginning but not a word format - has anybody experience with this Plug-In? Is there an adequate Plug-In wor word documents, too?

JIRA PDF View Plugin does not support the Word fileformat, but it does support all your formatting and content requirements.

(Re-import is not possible though.)

Baselining the PDF documents should actually be done outside JIRA. Any advanced document management system, like Alfresco for instance, should be able to satisfy this requirement.

Okay thanks for your answer,

but how shall this xpandit plug-in handle with a template bases content and extra headers and text between the issues by using a buld exporting?

Regards

Jonathan

Hi Jonathan,

We have several examples of that kind of templates. Check http://jiraxporter.xpand-it.com/display/JIRAXPORTER/Sample+Templates, files SampleBulk*.

If you have any questions, raise them directly at https://jiraxporter.zendesk.com, we will be glad to help with any questions or issues.

Best Regards

Hi Jonathan,

You can also check out Intelligent Reports. It lets you design your report document in Microsoft Word and fill in the data including multiple issues, tables, charts etc. with simple point and click rules. Output is produced in Microsoft Word format, and there is no scripting or API to learn, so you can get up and running very quickly.

Intelligent Reports does not currently support updating JIRA from changes to the document, but you could easily use Words track changes or document comparison features to see changes and update the JIRA information manually.

There is a 30 day free trial and several sample reports included, so check it out and let us know (via support) if it meets your needs.

I'm sorry but none of this suggestions is able to create professional documents as development requires. Any other idea?

The question is still not answered well!

Jonathan,

Have you looked at Confluence. Specifically Confluence Blueprints.

http://blogs.atlassian.com/2013/03/confluence-blueprints-collaboration-best-practices/

Hello, this doesn't answer my questtion, too. Sorry but I need not any option for documentation. I need exactly the option I descriped at the begining of this ticket. None of the answers solve my requirements. Is there any advanced idea left?

Best regards

Jonathan

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Sarah Schuster
Posted Jan 29, 2018 in Jira

What are common themes you've seen across successful & failed Jira Software implementations?

Hey everyone! My name is Sarah Schuster, and I'm a Customer Success Manager in Atlassian specializing in Jira Software Cloud. Over the next few weeks I will be posting discussion topics (8 total) to ...

2,760 views 11 18
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot