Creating new values for a cascading custom field in Jira

ANKITA BARBI October 3, 2017

Hi ,

I have a custom field called as total budget which has some values and every time the person uses the amount from the total budget, it should reflect the remaining budget.  How can I achieve it. ANd next time when any user logs in he should see the remaining budget in the custom field. Can you kindly help me achieve it.

Regards,

Ankita.

2 answers

0 votes
Ethan Foulkes October 8, 2017

Hi Ankita,

We could possibly figure out how to make that happen but what if you can't remember if you have applied and expense?

I think a slightly better way would be:

• Parent has fields "Budget" and "Balance"
  • Sub-Tasks called "Expense" get added to the parent ticket for each expense in a field called "Value"
  • Balance (parent) = Budget - each expense in sub-tasks

If possible to work it this way let me know and we can show you how.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 4, 2017

That's not goingto work with a cascading select.  A select list needs a fixed set of data to work with, and values stored on issues must be on that list for it to work.  So, "reflect the remaining budget" is a complete non-starter because you'd need code to destroy the data you'd been entering (if you wanted the field to work at all)

If you have a fixed list, it will work.  You'll then need some code to calculate and display the remaining budget.  Do you have one of the scripting add-ons?

Suggest an answer