Creating issues that correspond to existing asset numbers

David May 25, 2015

I've seen questions similar to this but I'm still not sure if there's a "best practice" way to accomplish the following:

I have a few hundred pieces of equipment with metal asset tags already attached. Let's say the asset tags are of the form ABC1234

As I get these pieces of equipment back to my shop, I'd like to create a JIRA ticket for each asset to track it's physical location, repair status, and a bunch of other info.

Is it possible to have the issue key/value be ABC1234? Meaning, can I manually specify which key value each new ticket should be, as I get the equipment back for repair?

Another suggestion seemed to be that I'd create, say, a thousand tickets and then just edit the appropriate tickets as I receive them. That's a possible solution but we're into the six-thousands now and hundreds of older assets are no longer in service, so I'd be creating tons of tickets which never see any updates.

Is there an elegant way to handle this? Ideally the key value would be the actual asset code because other projects can reference the equipment they involve, so if they're directly referencing JIRA tickets named something like ABC2415 it would remove a layer of confusion.

Thanks

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Marcus Silveira
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 25, 2015

Hi David,

You can create the issues with a specific Issue key only if you are creating them using via a CSV file.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Creating+issues+using+the+CSV+importer

You can specify one of the columns in the CSV to be the Issue Key and put the desired Issue key there.

Hope this helps.

David May 25, 2015

This should work quite well I think! Thank you very much.

Suggest an answer