Creating issues in portfolio with mandatory fields

Juan du Toit September 6, 2017

God Day,

I made some fields mandetrory upon creation on some issues (Parent link for Epics and and Epic link for Stories)

When I create these issues in Portfolio and I add these fields I can't commit the changes as it is still looking for those fields to be populated.

"Epic Link is required"

Am I doing something wrong or is this just not possible?

Portfolio v2.2.6

JIRA v7.3.2

Regards,

Juan

2 answers

1 vote
Nicolas Seronvalle September 7, 2017

Well, if I get it right about your problem, as long as your fields are mandatory you have to populate them before commiting the changes.

If you don't want to populate those fields then you have to mark them as optionals.

Alan Williams June 29, 2018

Hey Nic:

In portfolio you are already assigning an issue to an epic or feature.  So Jira should see that its assigned to a specific epic link in the hierarchy.

The same things will happen if you have portfolio "Teams" as a required field.  In the portfolio plan you are already assigning issues to a team.  Jira doesn't recognize this and when you commit....you have to assign it to a team AGAIN.

I have to think that this is not intended functionality.

Joe Collins September 26, 2019

How do you expose required (custom fields) in Portfolio for JIRA when creating so that they can be committed back to JIRA?

0 votes
Martin_Wasiak December 3, 2019

We also made Epic Link mandatory for Tasks, and now are unable to create Tasks in Portfolio. 

I narrowed down the problem to the "Epic Link" validator which we added to prevent users from creating orphaned Tasks without an Epic.  However, Portfolio doesn't set the Epic Link field and gets an error.  You can see that when looking at new item details in screenshot below:

Parent.png

What's buggy is that Portfolio eventually DOES set that Epic Link field, but it does later after the Validator has already fired.  I confirmed that by turning off that validator and looking at the tasks created.

It's a shame since Portfolio would have been a quick tool to add Tasks to Jira.

-Martin 

Suggest an answer