Creating issues from email by setting fields in the email body

Florian Fuchs October 6, 2014

I am using JIRA OnDemand and have successfully set up issue creation from email following these instructions:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Creating+Issues+and+Comments+from+Email

I have only one more wish: I want do specify the "issue type", "priority" and "epic" within the body of the email! E.g. by using special keywords such as

<email-body>

PRIORITY: Minor

ISSUE TYPE: Bug

At the moment it is possible to ...

</email-body>

How can I do this with a JIRA OnDemand instance?

Thank you very much for your suggestions!

3 answers

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 6, 2014

The standard mail handlers cannot do that, you need to use a handler that can process that information.

The only way to do this with Cloud JIRA is to enable the JEMH addon.

0 votes
Vincent Dansereau June 4, 2018

Hi, we encountered the same problem.
The solution we found was to create a post-function at the create transition that runs a SIL program.

The program parses the description and then set the values, for example:

string projet = key;

if (%projet%.issueType == "My Issue Type") {

if (matchStart(%projet%.description, "<conditionalTag>") > 0) {
%projet%.reporter = trim(substring(%projet%.description, matchEnd(%projet%.description, "<Reporter>"), matchStart(%projet%.description, "</Reporter>")));
}
}
0 votes
Florian Fuchs October 6, 2014

Thanks for the quick reply!

To avoid using JEMH: Can I probably configure several email addresses with my JIRA OnDemand instance? I'm thinking of introducing a jira-bug@...atlassian.net and jira-story@...atlassian.net in addition to jira@...atlassian.net and to configure different mail handlers for those.

Do you think this will work?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 6, 2014

Mmm, partly, you'll get the project/issue-type split and priority will still be taken from the priority field on the email header. But I don't know if you can use multiple email addresses in OnDemand (I'm pretty sure you can, but don't have one to play with at the moment)

Florian Fuchs October 7, 2014

Thanks! I just tried to use multiple email addresses in OnDemand, but couldn't make it work. If anybody know how it works or whether it does not work, please let me know...

Suggest an answer