Creating filter in Jira to a page in Confluence

Vickey Lepcha June 12, 2015

Ok guys - I have a page in my Confluence Environment  . The url to that page in confluence would be

https://test.confluence.xyz.in/display/AAF/Impediment+Log

I am using the following filter query in JIRA ;

project = BPO AND issuetype = Impediment

But as I give this query - it gives me the following error ;

“The JIRA server didn't understand your search query. If you entered JQL, please ensure that it's correctly formed. If you entered an issue key, ensure that it exists and you have permission to view it. Learn More

CAN SOME PLEASE ADVISE ?

6 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
William Crighton _CCC_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 12, 2015

Hi! So you have a confluence page with the jira-issues macro on it where you've specified 'project = BPO AND issuetype = Impediment' as the filter? Is this correct? And when you go into JIRA, search for issues, click 'new filter' and enter that string into the 'advanced' search box it returns a set of issues? If you haven't run that JQL directly in your JIRA I'd advise that - I'm thinking you might see a message like this: 'The value 'Impediment' does not exist for the field 'issuetype'.' - but that's a guess. You might have an issue type with label Impediment, it's just not common. -wc

Hi William , My query , project = BPO AND issuetype = Impediment , does give me me an issue as a result. After that I copy the url of the query and paste it to my confluence page and it says : JIRA Issues Macro : JIRA Project does not exist or you do not have permissions to view it . Again when I open the issue for the above query, and use that issue url and paste in confluence page , it gives me another error ; JIRA Issues Macro : Data cannot be retrieved due to an unexpected error.

William Crighton _CCC_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 15, 2015

@Vickey Palzor Lepcha - I think the app link between your JIRA instance and your confluence instance is not setup fully. I would (if you have admin rights to both systems - if you don't then find someone who does and have them walk through this): Step 1: In JIRA navigate to Admin/Add Ons/Application Links (near top on left) and select the 'edit' link for your Confluence Instance - the dialog will come up focused on a tab 'Application Details' - change this to select 'Incoming Authentication'. If Confluence open up a tab to Admin/Add Ons/Application Links (scroll page to bottom, it's about 7 from the bottom in the list) and click the 'edit' link for your JIRA server. In both application tabs click on the 'incoming Authentication' link and select 'trusted Applications' tab. If the status in both applications (JIRA and Confluence - check by switching tabs you opened above in Step 1) is not 'Configured' then Click the 'enable' button. If it is 'Configured' then scroll the page down to where it says 'Update' and click that button. Afterwards you should see on both Application tabs a message like this when viewing the Confluence link from JIRA: "[CONFLU APP]" (Confluence) is currently configured to make requests into "[JIRA APP]" (JIRA) using Trusted Applications. And this when viewing the JIRA Link from Confluence: "[JIRA APP]" (JIRA) is currently configured to make requests into "[CONFLU APP]" (Confluence) using Trusted Applications. Once you see both these messages you'll want to click the 'OAUTH' tab in both applications (screenshots from both apps attached below) and run through the same exercise - I've found that if they already say 'configured' it's best to 'disable' them and then 'reenable' them (just click the disable button and then click it again when it reads 'enable' - don't forget to enable 2 legged OAuth and Allow user impersonation if you trust the server). If you have problems setting these up then it's 90% your SSL certificates and 10% your network, depending. dang...cannot attach files. Let me know and I can email them. -wc

Vickey Lepcha June 17, 2015

@William Crighton [CCC] Hey - William , thank you for your guidance . I have created an unproxied application link and it has resolved the issue. Thank you so much.

1 vote
Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 12, 2015

You should verify that the query runs in JIRA and then paste it into Confluence, or save it as a filter and just use the filter from Confluence.

Hey Steven - the query does give me the result . After that I copied the query url and pasted it on the confluence page . It gave me the error ; JIRA Issues Macro : JIRA Project does not exist or you do not have permissions to view it . Then I opened the Issue and copied the issue url and pasted it to confluence page and it gave me another error ; JIRA Issues Macro : Data cannot be retrieved due to an unexpected error.

Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 12, 2015

It looks like you may be impacted by this issue: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CONF-34793 Are you the system administrator for this system? You might want to comment on CONF-34793 AND open an issue at support.atlassian.com

Vickey Lepcha June 17, 2015

@Steven Behnke Hey Steven - guess what , I created an unproxied link following some documentations and it has worked. Filters are working as expected - fetching results from Jira when I run them from Confluence . Thank you for your time and guidance .

Steve Behnke [DiscoverEquip.com]
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 17, 2015

Interesting. I've had to do that one time and I am still not positive what needed the unproxied link. I'm glad that worked for you. https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/KB/How+to+create+an+unproxied+Application+Link

0 votes
Majken Connor October 21, 2016

This just happened to us. However it seems to have been a fluke. After trying to edit the filter to make it work, we just made a new one exactly the same and it worked fine. If it happens again we might try to dig into logs and see if we can find more clues.

0 votes
Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 12, 2015

Could you share a screenshot? It might help me out.

0 votes

@Steven Behnke yes Steven , they are connected . When I paste the issue url on the confluence page - it does show me the issue in jira , but then as I save it , it throws me that error i had shared before.

0 votes
Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 12, 2015

You don't have to keep marking answers as Correct until someone actually answers your issue. Can you confirm that you even have Confluence and JIRA connected via AppLinks? Can you just search a "word" to see if ANYTHING is pulled from JIRA at all?

Suggest an answer