Creating duplicate issues assigned to different people in a list

Jay A June 10, 2014

Normally, when I have a task for my team to complete, I send out an email expecting that people will do it. For example, "Update your certifications list." Well, there are always a few that miss this or don't get around to it and it gets forgotten.

In JIRA, is there any way to create an issue, and then have it create duplicates and assign each duplicate to a different person in a list or group? This way, these requests would always show up on each person's dashboard, and I'd be able to go in and see who has not yet completed the task.

Or, alternatively, is there a way to create an issue with multiple assignees, but the issue would remain open until ALL of the assignees marked it as done?

2 answers

0 votes
Jay A June 23, 2014

This may work, it's better than nothing. But, the subtask names won't be descriptive unless I change them every time I create a list of subtasks. If I create a request that goes to my whole group, that's 50+ lines in the subtask template that I have to edit. I could make the subtask names in the template be "Do this", but it will show up in people's dashboards as "PROJ-333 / Do this". That's not very user friendly, and it doesn't give people a good idea of what they need to do without looking at the parent task.

0 votes
Vijay Khacharia
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 15, 2014

Hi Jay,

May be an option would be to create subtasks for each assignee. You can use this plugin to create them in bulk.

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.hascode.plugin.jira-quick-subtasks

Vijay

Jay A June 23, 2014

This may work, it's better than nothing. But, the subtask names won't be descriptive unless I change them every time I create a list of subtasks. If I create a request that goes to my whole group, that's 50+ lines in the subtask template that I have to edit. I could make the subtask names in the template be "Do this", but it will show up in people's dashboards as "PROJ-333 / Do this". That's not very user friendly, and it doesn't give people a good idea of what they need to do without looking at the parent task.

Vijay Khacharia
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 24, 2014

Hi Jay,

There is an option to prefix the summary of parent task in the sub-tasks created. If you parent task has proper summary, you can have same in the sub-tasks.

Vijay

Suggest an answer