Creating comments via e-mail / Filter bounce messages

Nabil Sayegh
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 14, 2013

Aloha,

we've setup JIRA to fetch mails from an imap account (Exchange) and create comments to the respective issues. This is already working fine, however, the imap folder also contains bounce e-mails that I'd like to filter.

Our log is full with these messages:

2013-01-15 14:53:06,633 QuartzWorker-0 WARN ServiceRunner    Create Issue/Comment Service for KOTR [com.atlassian.mail.MailUtils] Unable to extract text from MIME part with Content-Type 'multipart/mixed; 
	boundary=_003_7811e41e06444abdab2e1fcc89c81c91NTOVCASHUB01adexamplede_
2013-01-15 14:53:06,774 QuartzWorker-0 WARN ServiceRunner    Create Issue/Comment Service for KOTR [com.atlassian.mail.MailUtils] Unable to extract text from MIME part with Content-Type 'message/rfc822
2013-01-15 14:53:06,817 QuartzWorker-0 WARN ServiceRunner    Create Issue/Comment Service for KOTR [mail.incoming.CreateOrCommentHandler.1] The mail 'FROM' does not match a valid user
2013-01-15 14:53:06,817 QuartzWorker-0 WARN ServiceRunner    Create Issue/Comment Service for KOTR [mail.incoming.CreateOrCommentHandler.1] This user is not in jira so can not add a comment: Microsoft Outlook <MicrosoftExchange329e71ec88ae4615bbc36ab6ce41109e@example.com>

How do we tell JIRA to ignore bounce e-mails. Is there some kind of filter for subject or from?

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
JohnA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 14, 2013

Hi Nabil,

We have actually documented this, (to an extent at least), and basically the solution is to use a specific tool, such as procmail, to pre-process the emails before they hit the mailbox and are processed by JIRA as described in this document: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Creating+Issues+and+Comments+from+Email#CreatingIssuesandCommentsfromEmail-Bestpractices%28pre-processingJIRAemailmessages%29

Hope that helps,
John

Nabil Sayegh
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 14, 2013

Thank you for the fast reply. Unfortunately I have to use Exchange, so I can't use procmail.

But from your answer I derive that there doesn't exist any built-in mechanism to filter mails, right?

Nabil Sayegh
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 14, 2013

I've added Exchange rules now. Although it's not the best solution - e.g. if there was another system expecting the mails in Inbox - it solves my problem for now.

Suggest an answer