Creating an auto-responder for issues created using mail handler

Martyn Roberts August 23, 2012

I have created a mail handler to pick up emails from an IMAP account and automatically create issues. This is for emails NOT defined as a JIRA account.

i would like to send out an automated response with a ticket number.

1) is this possible?

2) if so, can i also send further emails as the issue is updated/resolved/closed?

3) also, can that non-JIRA email address update the issue by sending more emails with same subject line?

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 4, 2012

Dave, I have a different understanding.

1. The default email handler does not send out emails when the issue is created,. If the reporting user has set 'Notify me for my own actions' then JIRA will send the email during issue creation.

2. Yes

3. Yes, provided you have configured the Default Reporter. Else the email will be rejected. And the non-jira users will never be updated about any changes.

0 votes
Cody Crandall November 29, 2017

This is possible. You can set your notification scheme to notify the reporter of an issue when it is created. This will effectively send whoever created that issue with a copy of the ticket. To receive further emails you can set the reporter to receive notification up updates. I think the third is possible, but I'm not 100% sure. You can check by looking into the imap mail handler settings. 

0 votes
Dave
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 4, 2012

All yes answers! Your notification scheme will determine when you send email updates, and as long as your response is from the same email with the ticket in the subject, your ticket should update accordingly.

Suggest an answer