Creating advanced workflows in JIRA

Martin Zimmer August 4, 2015

Hi,

I have some questions regarding workflow development in JIRA Server (version 6.4.1). I read a little about conditions and validators and I can't find a way to build a tree of validators same as I can do with conditons. Can I enable this feature or it's not possible?

If it's not possible how can I get following result:

• Field A is required only if Field B has given value (e.g. Serial number is required if equipment type is "Computer")
  • Field C is required only if issue was previously in given status (e.g. External service tag number is reqired if issue was previously in "Sent to external service")
  • User (reporter) can only report one issue per day unless she/he is manager It's only examples. I have like 10-12 requirements like above.

Any ideas? I'm not developer, so creating very complex scripts is out of my competencies.

King Regards,

Martin

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Robert Dzido
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 4, 2015

Martin,

Currently your needs can't me fulfilled by JIRA itself. As Bob wrote you need a third party plugin to do contitional validation. I think that Validator Templates from the Workflow PowerBox plugin can meet your expectations. You can use it in conjuction wit Run Condition as validator option and JQL-based validators.

It's paid plugin. If you need something free you can use Script Runner but it requires some development skills.

0 votes
Martin Zimmer August 4, 2015

Bob, Robert,

Thanks you your answers. I will review both solutions.

0 votes
Bob Swift OSS (Bob Swift Atlassian Apps)
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 4, 2015

Advanced workflow design can be tricky. If the standard built-in validators aren't sufficient for your scenarios, think about using a Conditioned validator (part of Update on Transition for JIRA). You have very flexible pattern matching capabilities to prevent a transition from occurring after data has been entered on the transition screen.

Suggest an answer