Creating a status in simplified workflow

Jens Theisen September 29, 2017

The documentation at

https://confluence.atlassian.com/agile/jira-agile-user-s-guide/configuring-a-board/configuring-columns/using-jira-agile-simplified-workflow

says "...you may want to switch to Simplified Workflow. You will then be able to easily add new statuses from within JIRA Agile."

However, on clicking edit on the workflow there is this warning:

"This workflow is managed internally by JIRA Software. Do not manually modify this workflow."

Also, if I ignore the warning and add a new step anyhow, I still don't have more steps to configure in the board settings.

I also can't see any other way to add statuses in the simplified workflow.

(I also assume here that "Jira Agile" is just a legacy name for Vira Software, but I'm not sure.)

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 29, 2017

Once a workflow is simplified, it's better not to touch it in the workflow editor.

Your board administrators (not necessarily system admins!) can add new status via "configure board -> columns" - buttons for new status appear there.

And yes, Agile is a legacy name for Jira Software (you might also see Greenhopper, which is even older, but still the same thing)

Jens Theisen September 29, 2017

You're right - I had to give myself admin rights to the project first, somehow I assumed I had that with site-admin rights anyway.

Now I can indeed add states, great. Thanks a bunch.

Ivana Setiawan February 7, 2018

I couldn't find a way to make myself an admin to the project. How did you do it?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 7, 2018

Get an admin to put you in a role or group that has Administration rights in the  permission scheme for the project.

I am the creator of the project, aren't I suppose to be the admin?

Screen Shot 2018-02-07 at 11.14.09.pngThis is what I see, how can I make myself the "Administer Projects"?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 7, 2018

The admin right you use to create a project says nothing about your access to that project.  You need an admin to check the permission scheme on the project.

1 vote
Cristian Rosas [Tecnofor]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 29, 2017

Hi Jens, 

Best practices says that you should copy the workflow and edit the copy. Anyway, make sure you have published the drafted workflow created automatically when you are editing an active workflow (see the picture below):

https://gyazo.com/b8b59662a891d2197a26ea88a8188799

If the workflow is published, the status should appear in the column section in the board configuration "Unmapped Status"

Suggest an answer