Creating a special group for assigning tickets to specific users

Brian Atkins May 6, 2016

I am working on creating a issue type for on-boarding new employees. We intend to have the ticket initiated by HR with the basic employee profile. As they input the information we also want them to select the new employee's manager so the ticket can be handed off to them directly for further input on IT/telephony equipment, types of access (VPN, internal services), and office equipment. 

The only way I can see to facilitate this action would be to add the managers to the service desk team and include the field to assign the ticket to an individual. Unfortunately this would create confusion as IT personnel and managers would both be listed. 

Is there a way to create a field that would just list manager and allow the tickets to be automatically assigned to the person selected? I'm mostly trying to prevent additional work by the support staff in having to re-assign every ticket that comes in.

2 answers

1 vote
Chris Dunne
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 6, 2016

I think you could use a combination of Gabrielle's suggestion, and if you are using the latest version of JIRA Service Desk you can use the new Approver functionality.

http://blogs.atlassian.com/2016/04/three-ways-to-use-jira-service-desks-new-approvals-like-a-pro/

Brian Atkins May 11, 2016

I'm running a hosted version of 3.1.6 (just upgraded from 3.1.4). I do not see the option to add the approver function. Maybe that's a cloud only option?

Chris Dunne
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 11, 2016

Actually, yes it is cloud only for now. 

1 vote
GabrielleJ
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 6, 2016

You can have a User Picker that have a limited option (not showing all users like before). This has been implemented in JIRA 6.2 onwards.

1. Open "Custom fields" 
2. Click "+Add Custom Field"
3. Create a "User Picker (single user) field.
4. After creating your field, find it on the "Custom Fields" screen, and choose "Configure" from the menu icon on the right.
You should now see a "User Filtering" option. This allows you to add a filter for project role or group. 

Suggest an answer