Creating Subtask and inherit a field from the parent

Nitzan Matalon November 27, 2022

Hey guys,

I'm trying to inherit a custom field "Team Name" to a subtask from it's parent.

I know there is an option to do it with automtaion or by a post function in the workflow , BUT I want the field to be already filled with the team name value on the CREATION screen of the subtask, and those two methods I mentioned will keep the field empty and only after the creation will fill the teamname field.

Is there an option to make it happen?

Attaching a screenshot to show that the field stays empty on the creation of the subtasksubtask.jpg

1 answer

0 votes
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 27, 2022

Hi @Nitzan Matalon 

Would you please post images of your complete automation rule and the audit log details showing the rule execution?  Those may provide context for your question.  Thanks!

Regarding automation rules and post functions, those happen after the event, such as Issue Created.  Are you trying to create a default value for the Team Name field?

Kind regards,
Bill

Nitzan Matalon November 27, 2022

Hey Bill,

Thank you for your answer.

Yes, I'm trying to create a default value for team name but I want the default value to be the parnet's value. For example if the story's team name is VS1 then I want VS1 to be the default value on the subtask creation screen. Is that possible?

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 28, 2022

I do not know how to do that with the built-in features as it would need to set the value before the issue is created...AND...reference an issue field from a parent which could theoretically change value during the time the create screen is shown.

Suggest an answer