Creating JIRA Issues from an email

Bryan Trummer
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 13, 2014

I know JIRA has a mail handler option that it will read an email and create a ticket in a specific JIRA Project. My question is how truly customizable is this? We have our customers send emails in a certain template in the body. Can I map those fields so the handler will know to fill in that field in JIRA? Or is there possibly a plug in that may be suited for this?

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 13, 2014

Have a look at the JEMH plugin. Lot of configuration options available. Atleast that will give you an idea about how much customizable an email handler is!

Andy Brook [Plugin People]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 13, 2014

Yep, JEMH has various incoming mail formats supported, however, there is still flexibility to support 3rd party formats. It works best for system generated emails that generate consistent content structure, then, it becomes possible to Use the Regexp Field Processor to capture bits of text from the email, and map them to JIRA fields.

When dealing with definitions that are applicable only in the remote system, eg "business impact : really high", then JEMH can also Use Aliases to map from the external value of 'really high' to a JIRA specific value such as 'Blocker', allowing a translation and application to a standard JIRA field like Priority.

Bryan Trummer
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 13, 2014

Thank you for the answers. It would appear that the JEMH plug in is the route I will take!

Suggest an answer