Creating Issue In Jira from an incoming email

Hemanshu Sood November 30, 2016

Hi please assist me with:

1) Creating an issue inside JIRA with an incoming email and populating the custom fields whose value has been specified in the email.

2) Is there a script required for this functionality to work.

3) In Atlassian docs I have read that JIRA provides this functionality by default with the help of mail handlers, mail servers etc. But the true nature of its working is not clear.

Can you please help?

Thanks in advance

3 answers

2 votes
Vladimir Yakimov _Botron_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 30, 2016

Hello Hemanshu,

There are several pre-requisites you need to setup first. I would assume that you are interested in setting up email channel for JIRA Service Desk handling incoming mail requests.

1. You need to setup an email channel for the incoming mail request:

• Within your Service Desk Project Settings go to Email Requests and setup the generic e-mail you would use to receive incoming requests. 

2. Once you have the mail set up, you need to have a proper request type set which is suitable for email requests.

Check out this page for some details:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/servicedeskcloud/receiving-requests-by-email-747602718.html

Pay attention to the field requirements. Request type should have summary and description fields only that would be populated from subject and email body from the incoming mail.

3. As for the custom fields those would be setup with their corresponding default values.

Hope this would help you a bit.

Regards,

Vladimir

0 votes
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 12, 2016

Hi, 

Unfortunately I cannot think of how you could achieve that with basic JIRA SD functionalities.

One possible approach you may consider is to try creating your own post function using Script Runner. For example on ticket creation, pickup certain text from issue description and apply your process rule setting the custom field/s value/s.

Regards,

Vladimir 

0 votes
Hemanshu Sood December 4, 2016

Hi Vladimir,

Thanks for the update, but i want to create an issue inside JIRA along with populating the custom fields also which have been provided inside the email. Is it possible? or do we need a custom groovy script? ANy advice on that

Rising Star
Rising Star
December 11, 2016

Hi Hemanshu, 

I'm not quite clear what do you mean by "the custom fields also which have been provided inside the mail". Do you mean you have custom fields you would like to be setup on ticket generation with some predefined values? Or do you expect some of the text within the email to be used to set custom field/s values?

Regards,

Vladimir

Hemanshu Sood December 11, 2016

Hi Vladimir,

I want the latter case to be implemented:

"Or do you expect some of the text within the email to be used to set custom field/s values?"

I have some custom and default  fields in my ticket which should be populated by the values which are present in the email. Is is possible?

Thanks

Suggest an answer