Creating Epics in an existing project which does not have Issue type as "Epic"

Deepak Kandpal May 8, 2022

I have created a Kaban project which I am using to track the task of my team. However, I initially missed selecting the Issue type as "Epic" while creating the Project, but now I wanted to create/add Epics in the same project.

Is it possible? if yes, please advise.

2 answers

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 9, 2022

You can not create issues of a type that the project does not contain.

You will need to add the Epic type to the project to let people create Epics in the project.  Go to the project, find the project settings, go into the "issue type scheme" and add Epic to it in there.  (check if this is a shared scheme though, if you have other projects that might not want Epics)

Deepak Kandpal May 9, 2022

Hi Nic, under issues I cant find <Issue type schemes>

After navigating to project setting => Issues I have following sub headings:

- Layout

- Screens

- Fields

- Collectors

- Security 

Plz advise. Thank you.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 10, 2022

You'll need an admin to go to the project settings and get into the issue type scheme to add Epic to it.

0 votes
Dave Mathijs
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 9, 2022

@Deepak Kandpal Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

This is possible.

If the issue type Epic does not exist (yet) for your project, have it added to the Issue Type Scheme by a Site or Jira admin.

If the issue type Epic already exists in the issue type scheme associated with your project, you can simply create a new issue Epic.

Hi Dave, thanks for responding back. Could you help me with the steps/navigation plz?

Dave Mathijs
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 9, 2022

Here's the link to the documentation: Add, edit and delete an issue type scheme

Please note that you need to be a Jira administrator in order to do this.

Hi Dave, thank you for sharing the note. I was referring it but stuck on the <Issue type 

Under issues I cant find <Issue type schemes>

After navigating to project setting => Issues I have following sub headings:

- Layout

- Screens

- Fields

- Collectors

- Security 

Plz advise. Thank you.

Dave Mathijs
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 9, 2022

Are you on a team-managed project?

Sorry, I am not sure what is that mean?

Dave Mathijs
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 9, 2022

Go to your project and have a look at the bottom-left corner of the sidebar. It should say either "You're in a company managed project" or "You're in a team-managed project".

It's a "company-managed project".

Thank You.

Dave Mathijs
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 9, 2022

The URL should look like https://<yoursitename>.atlassian.net/jira/settings/issues/issue-type-schemes to edit the issue types of the issue type scheme associated with the project.

Is it possible to share some screenshots of your project config?

Deepak Kandpal May 10, 2022

Hi Dave,

I am getting 404 error when I replaced the Issue Type  URL with my sitename.

Attached screenshot of my the project for reference.

Thank you, for all your support. 

Jira image 1.JPG

Dave Mathijs
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 10, 2022

In that case, I would like you to contact your Jira/Site Admin who should be able to change the configuration for you.

Deepak Kandpal May 12, 2022

With the help of JIRA administrator I was able to create a issue type as EPIC however it when I am trying to create an epic it's giving me an error "

Epic Name: Epic Name is required."

Any advise? 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 12, 2022

When you create an Epic, it needs a name.  Fill that in during  the create process and it will work fine.

Deepak Kandpal May 12, 2022

Hi Nic,

Please see the attached image. I am filling out mandatory information. And there is no option for Epic Name.

Thank you,

Deepak

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 14, 2022

Why have you removed "epic name" from the create issue screen?

Suggest an answer