Created and edited screens on a new field configuration and it updated another field configuration

Angie Goodman July 15, 2016

To replicate:

In JIRA cloud...

1) Go to (cog icon)>issues
2) Select Field Configurations on the left (there was one - "Default Field Configuration"
3) Under actions, select "copy"
4) Rename and save as "DW Field Configuration"
5) On View Field Configurations screen, click "Configure" for the new "DW Field Configuration"
6) For each Field, click "Screens" on right and check/uncheck as appropriate for the use of this new configuration.
7) Click "Field Configurations" on the menu to the left to return to the "View Field Configurations" screen
8) On View Field Configurations screen, click "Configure" for the existing "Default Field Configuration"
Note that all of the screen changes made to the NEW "DW Field Configuration" have also been applied to the original "Default Field Configuration".

Put head on desk and cry.

Please advise.

2 answers

0 votes
MattS
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 15, 2016

I think the problem is related to mixing field configurations and screens. Each JIRA project has an Issue Type Screen Scheme (ITSS) that controls the fields displayed on create, edit and view screens. That is per issue type.

Then for each project there is also a Field Configuration Scheme, which chooses the field configuration for each issue type. Field configurations are mostly used to make fields required. 

So if you want to change the fields being used in a project, don't touch the field configuration part, work with the ITSS part. Define a new screen, add the fields you want. Create a screen scheme to use the new screen. Create a new ITSS to use the new screen scheme

You're not the first to find the Seven Schemes of JIRA confusing, so I wrote a book explaining them and more: Practical JIRA Administration http://shop.oreilly.com/product/0636920020196.do No head-banging needed!

0 votes
Deleted user July 15, 2016

Yikes, don't panic yet...

Try reindexing and see if that clears things up.  smile

If not we'll wait for Nic to help!

Angie Goodman July 15, 2016

Will that cause any ill effects for my users...in performance or otherwise?

Deleted user July 15, 2016

No, absolutely not, choose the background option to allow them to keep working.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 15, 2016

Matt beat me to it.

The field configurations and screens are totally separate things.  You have two field configurations, but when you use the link to the screens, you are adding/removing the fields on the same screens.

Suggest an answer