Create task under story

Budi Yulianto April 7, 2017

Is it possible to create a task underneath a story on JIRA?

If that is not possible, is there any add-on which can help me to do that?

We are currently using JIRA cloud.

Thanks!

3 answers

0 votes
Tharaka Galappaththi February 7, 2019

Task operate at the same 'level' as stories. In fact every issue type w/ the exception of Epic and Sub-task are on equal terms. Consider all issue types other than Epic and Sub-task as 'tasks'.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 7, 2017

There is nothing to stop you creating a sub-task type called "task", although you will need to rename the parent-level "task" to something else first.

By default, JIRA Software has a sub-task type of "technical task" which is a way to avoid the naming clash, but you should feel free to use whatever names that work best for your organisation!

Zeno January 18, 2023

Yeah never do this. You're just asking for confusion.

In fact I would go so far as to say, just avoid sub-tasks all together. They're a trap.

Like Matt Lands likes this
0 votes
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 7, 2017

You can not add a task under a story. You can add sub-tasks and that's it.

Not sure if there is an add-on in JIRA cloud or not but JIRA Server has options like Structure which can bring in a hierarchy inside JIRA.

Zeno January 18, 2023

This isn't entirely true when you consider that tasks can be linked and they can show up as a list of tasks on a story.

Like # people like this
Ethan Neff
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
November 17, 2023

you cannot point sub tasks. they are useless

Suggest an answer