Create sub-tasks not available in the "More menu" in the issue

Joao A September 15, 2014

Hi,

In my project I have associated some issue types, the only default was New Request all others I have created as standard.

I have sub-tasks enabled and working only for issues crated by the New Request issue type, i.e., I open an issue that is a "New Request" go to the menu More and I can add sub-task or convert to sub-task. The problem is that when in the others Issue type the option add sub-task is not available.

Can you help? I really do not know what I'm missing in the configuration.

Thanks in advance

3 answers

0 votes
Joao A September 19, 2014

Hi,

Problem identified.... The majority of the tickets being created are "New Request" and very few of the others. I didn't created new issues but checked the already created if this option become available. Thus for the Issues Type "New Request" the last ones are still open, and all other Types were closed. The conclusion is that sub-tasks can be only added to tickets that are still open.

Sorry for the trouble... But many thanks for the support

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 19, 2014

Ah, ok, yes, that's a flag on the status that prevents edits on closed issues. You could remove that if you really wanted, but adding subtasks to closed issues isn't generally a good idea, so I'd leave it if I were you!

Like David Matthews likes this
0 votes
Andre Borzzatto
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 16, 2014

Perhaps you have disable the management of sub-tasks for standard issue types?

Administration > Issues > Sub-tasks.

Where it says: "sub-tasks are currently turned (ON/OFF)".

You should check if they are enabled, in the "ON" state.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 16, 2014

Mmm, Joao wouldn't be able to create any sub-tasks if that were the case, but the question states it can be done under "new request" types

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 15, 2014

If you have sub-tasks in the project then you should find you can add them to ALL issues in that project.  Are you looking in the same project as the "New Requests" live in?

If you are, then the only way to say "sub task only live on one issue type" is to use some code - you'll need to identify that and reconfigure or remove it to get sub tasks on the other issue types.

Hi, Thanks for the answer but I do not understand: " If you are, then the only way to say "sub task only live on one issue type" is to use some code - you'll need to identify that and reconfigure or remove it to get sub tasks on the other issue types. " 1) What I did was to check if sub-tasks are enables and they are 2) Go to my project -> Issue type schemes -> select the scheme of the project and add the Sub-task (sub-task) After this in new issues or already available the option Convert to sub-task is available. But the add sub-task only in "New Request" issues. Thanks in advance again.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 15, 2014

Ok. Can you tell us *exactly* what you have configured in the issue type scheme? For example, does it just say New Request Sub-task (subtask) Or is it more like New Request Feature Bug Sub-Task (subtask) Issue Thingy Technical Task (subtask) ?

Hi,

This is what I have configured on the scheme, attached image below.

After I performed this the sub-task become available. Like I said "new issues or already available the option Convert to sub-task is available. But the add sub-task only in "New Request" issues."

scheme.PNG What

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 15, 2014

Ok, that's excellent, very clear. Can you confirm my understanding of the problem? In that, in this single project When you create/edit a Firewall/VPN Request, you do NOT see "create subtask" as a menu option When you create/edit a Logistics Request, you do NOT see "create subtask" as a menu option When you create/edit a Machine Issue Request, you do NOT see "create subtask" as a menu option When you create/edit a New Request, you DO see "create subtask" as a menu option Is that right?

Suggest an answer