Create new filter hangs indefinitely

antonyking June 19, 2013

We've recently upgraded to version 5 from version 3. Some time after the upgrade, creating new filters stopped working - when you try it greys out the screen and shows a timer widget. It stays in this state until you press 'back'. It's not related to system load and all other activities seem to be working normally. Any ideas?

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
antonyking June 26, 2013

After logging a call with Atlassian, between us we determined that it was the Password Strengtrh plugin that was causing the problem. They refuse to fix it so all we can do is not use the plugin.

0 votes
C_ Faysal
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 19, 2013

any conspicious loglines ?

there must be something to point at...you may need to increase logging level...

systemload is not the only possibilty for issues...what about your JVM Memory?

Jira 5 may need some more?

in most cases i got to know a plugin cache cleanup fixes mostly all unwanted plugin behaviours.

as the gadget is a plugin you could try doing so...

https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/151453/jira-4-4-5-jira-startup-failed-plugins-did-not-start/151455

C_ Faysal
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 19, 2013

in most cases i got to know a plugin cache cleanup fixes mostly all unwanted plugin behaviours.

as the gadget is a plugin you could try doing so...

https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/151453/jira-4-4-5-jira-startup-failed-plugins-did-not-start/151455

antonyking June 19, 2013

No log lines get generated when you attempt to save a new filter. How do I go about checking JVM memory? Here's the result of ps -ef:

jira 1891 1 1 Jun14 ? 02:39:23 /opt/atlassian/jira/jre//bin/java -Djava.util.logging.config.file=/opt/atlassian/jira/conf/logging.properties -XX:MaxPermSize=256m -Xms256m -Xmx2048m -Djava.awt.headless=true -Datlassian.standalone=JIRA -Dorg.apache.jasper.runtime.BodyContentImpl.LIMIT_BUFFER=true -Dmail.mime.decodeparameters=true -XX:+PrintGCDateStamps -Djava.util.logging.manager=org.apache.juli.ClassLoaderLogManager -Djava.endorsed.dirs=/opt/atlassian/jira/endorsed -classpath /opt/atlassian/jira/bin/bootstrap.jar:/opt/atlassian/jira/bin/tomcat-juli.jar -Dcatalina.base=/opt/atlassian/jira -Dcatalina.home=/opt/atlassian/jira -Djava.io.tmpdir=/opt/atlassian/jira/temp org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap start

The system has 6Gb of memory :

jira:~$ free
             total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
Mem:       6114032    4473820    1640212          0     251824    2343564
-/+ buffers/cache:    1878432    4235600
Swap:      4190204          0    4190204

Does the link you gave work for version 5 as well as 4? I'm nervous of having to delete stuff that I don't understand! This system supports a 24/7 operation so any downtime has to be arranged in advance.

Suggest an answer