Create issues by Mail Handler from Customers without license

Florian Schomakers January 22, 2021

Hi Guys,

We have a Jira Service Desk to communicate to our Customers but somehow it is not possible to create a Mail with the Mail Handler if the user does not have a license.. (adding to jira-servicedesk-users)

We licensed only 25 Service Desk Agents but will have a lot more Customers in the future..
Any ideas or is it by Design?

2021-01-22_11-31-35.png

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Boris Berenberg - Atlas Authority
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 24, 2021

It looks like you're using the Jira Mail Handler. Make sure you configure the Jira Service Management Mail Handler in the JSM project.

Florian Schomakers January 25, 2021

Hi Boris, thanks for your answer.

I think you mean the "Email Requests" section inside the project settings?
Thats what i also tested but this is not an option due to the 1:1 allocation of mail accounts to projects. Connect the Mailbox to any Service Desk Project is a key functionality we need.

Read:
https://confluence.atlassian.com/servicedeskserver0412/troubleshooting-issues-with-the-email-channel-1026033035.html
Resolution:

Make sure each of your service desk projects has a unique email account. An email account can't connect with multiple service desks.

You can also receive this message if you're trying to use multiple email aliases that point to the same email account for multiple service desk email channels.

Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 25, 2021

That is correct, you have to use that feature. You can't use the standard mail handler. It won't handle the licenses properly and you will get the issue you are currently seeing.

Like Jack Brickey likes this
Florian Schomakers January 26, 2021

I tried to use that feature (even though that this cant be the solution for Organizations like us) and i got the same error inside the log as on the Jira Mail Handler:

"Caesium-1-1 anonymous test test[10000]: Cannot create issue due to invalid license"

Rising Star
Rising Star
January 26, 2021

Have you added the source email as a customer in that service desk?

Florian Schomakers January 26, 2021

Hi Boris, Im sorry seems you are right. I was too impatient, i send multiple mails and now they got processed. 
This i confusing for me, it is a very bad user experience for both sides support and customer if every project needs its own Mail Account. Also increase costs and administration effort.. Cant imagine what should be the good arguments for this. 

Anyway, Thanks Boris.  

1 vote
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 22, 2021

You have to set the project up to create the users when email is received if they are not already customer or you have to monitor the log, manually add them and then open the issue on their behalf. Once they are a customer future requests will be successful. 

Florian Schomakers January 23, 2021

The users already exist as they are synchronized via LDAP and receive the customer role automatically. They have all the necessary permissions to create issues. In the log, the only error that appears is that the user does not have a license, but I don't know why a license is needed to create tickets.... Service Desk systems should not require a license for each customer....

Suggest an answer