Create issue with component,user and time estimate in one step

Josh Black October 27, 2014

I'm just trying the trial to see if we're interested in using JIRA as a project tracker. I'm probably doing something wrong. When I create a new issue, I get a form which allows me to pick the project, type, summary, priority, description and attachments. I end up going back and editing the same issue to add the component, initial time estimate and assign a person (which could have come with the component?)

If I'm looking at a project, what's the right way to create an issue for a specific component and add a time estimate all in one step. Or is it intentionally two steps because usually you list tasks and then get initial estimates later? These projects happen to already be past that step, where we've done initial estimates for all tasks.

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 27, 2014

It sounds like one of your admins has removed component, estimate and assignee from the "issue create" screen.  Or, possibly, you've disabled them - when you open up the create screen, check the "configure fields" at the top right and make sure they're ticked.  (Also the "where's my field" option in there might help you identify exactly where they are)

1 vote
Josh Black October 27, 2014

So far I'm the only user in my instance and I'm pretty sure I didn't edit any of the screens. I just created a 7 day trial, selected a "Project Management" project, and the create issue only had the fields mentioned the first time I created an issue.

I was able to go the the create issue screen and add the fields. I just found it strange that they existed in the edit screen but not the create screen. If I did make a change, I have no idea how, as until I posted this I'd only spent time so far on the create /edit projects, issues and components screens. 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 27, 2014

Ahh, the "project management" project template is the problem then. Its default "create" screen doesn't have the fields you were missing. So I wasn't far off, I'd just accused the wrong people of removing the fields! Like you, I find that very odd, as I think the defaults should be kept simple and intuitive for new users, and not do things like "hide field until..."

Suggest an answer