Create issue - select parent task dropdown

Alex_Lewis April 6, 2014

Does anyone know how this can be achieved? Rather than clicking More -> Create sub task, is it possible to have a Parent issue field when you click "Create issue"?

2 answers

0 votes
Alex_Lewis April 6, 2014

It seems relatively straight forward to do, the create sub task screen posts a

parentIssueId to QuickCreateIssue.jspa which can be supplied by prompt rather than a static value.

I don't think those risks mentioned are issues, they would also apply to Convert issue or Link issue too. I was just asking to see if there was a built in way or an existing plugin that i have missed, before i look at my own plugin

The reason i ask is that we use Subtask filters to organise our Kanban boards within projects and there's no practical way of creating sub tasks without leaving the boards and finding the parent task.

0 votes
Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 6, 2014

JIRA isn't designed that way. It only allows subtasks. You'd have to either create a plug-in or heavily modify thier code. Then the problem arises as to deciding which issues to list as a parent if you want a picker, or you could force people to put in the key, but they might mistype it so you'd have to validate it is a real issue before proceeding. And, you'd have to maintain the code modification. Alot of effort. Why is it so hard to open the would be parent and create it from there. They need to know the parent anyway. I don't see real value and would strongly suggest not putting in the effort since it could be a problem down the line when upgrading. Several people have been caught off guard when Atlassian put out a new release with major under the cover changes that didn't easily allow them to retrofit their modifications and they wanted the new features with the release.

Suggest an answer