Create issue screen (Popup vs "View")

Aleksandr Serebriakov October 11, 2017

Hello,

Not sure about how to name the views I am going to talk about below, but hope you'll undertand what I want.

When you press "Create" button

2017-10-11 15_58_01-JIRA Configuration - JIRA INT TEST - Internet Explorer.png

You get a pop-up window to create issue

2017-10-11 16_02_12-Create Issue - JIRA INT TEST - Internet Explorer.png

Or "screate view" window divided in two steps

step1

2017-10-11 16_09_14-Create Issue - JIRA INT TEST - Internet Explorer.png

step2

2017-10-11 16_11_15-Create Issue - JIRA INT TEST - Internet Explorer.png

How to force pop-up window to be shown on press of "Create" button?

1 answer

0 votes
Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 11, 2017

when you create an issue the 'create' screen, if you have one defined, will be shown. If you don't have a separate create screen the Edit screen is shown.  The Step one you show is when you select the project and issue type from the main screen. After you select those the Create issue screen from the appropriate project/issue type is displayed. 

Aleksandr Serebriakov October 11, 2017

All screens are defined, but when I press "Create" button when I am at dashboard I get pop-up window (that is good, i whant that).

But when I am at jira Administration > Issues (for example) settings

2017-10-11 16_40_39-Manage add-ons - JIRA INT TEST - Internet Explorer.png

and press "Create" button I get two step approach.

But I would like always to get pop-up window.

Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 11, 2017

It is just how JIRA works. 

Alex Christensen
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 11, 2017

To add to what Joe said, JIRA will make you go through the two-step approach if you click the Create button from certain pages in JIRA. I've found that if I click Create from these pages, I am forced into the two-step approach:

• Any JIRA administration page.
  • Any project administration page.

There might be more I'm not thinking of at the moment, but I can't remember. Since this mostly only happens at administration pages (global JIRA or project level), most of your end-users probably won't encounter this problem.

Aleksandr Serebriakov October 12, 2017

Joe, Alex, thank you for your replies. I just can't understand why it's made this way...but it is as it is and there is nothing we can do about that.

The main thing frustrating me in this situation is that I can't use "adaptavist behaviours" at that two-step approach.

Suggest an answer