Create issue into a different state based on group

Mike Rubin November 28, 2017

We receive new issues from both end-users and developers in our Jira (Cloud). When end-users create issues, I want them to go into the Triage state (from where a developer can place them into Backlog or Not to be Fixed). When a developer creates an issue, however, I want it to go straight to Backlog.

I want both end-users and developers to be able to create the same types of issues. I do not want to create separate workflows for different issue types.

I've investigated having the "Create" workflow transition go to a different starting state based on group membership, but this doesn't seem possible. I would also be OK with showing different "Create Issue" fields based on group memberships (so that a developer can choose the starting state of Backlog, but an end-user cannot), but this doesn't seem possible either.

I am not interested in Marketplace add-ons, I am looking for an out-of-the-box Jira solution.

What are possible solutions to this problem? Thank you.

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 28, 2017

The create transition in a workflow can only have one end state, you can't change that.  So you'd need a different workflow and issue type for each different starting status in your system.
However, if you're happy with add-ons, there is a way to do this.  Several add-ons provide "fast track transitions".  These can pick up an issue as it transitions, check if it matches a rule and initiate a second transition to another status.  The issue is created in the initial status, but before the user gets a refreshed screen, moves on to another one.

Thank you for the quick reply. Are you aware of any free add-ons that you could recommend?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 28, 2017

I'm not aware of any free ones that have that function, I'm sorry.

0 votes

Let me add that I am not interested in Marketplace add-ons, I am looking for an out-of-the-box Jira solution.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 28, 2017

Ah, sorry, my answer crossed with this.

There's no way to do this off-the-shelf, you need different workflows.

Suggest an answer