[Create fields value using Rest API] How to create new values in a custom field using Rest API call.

Rajesh Konda April 12, 2024

Hi Team,

Have requirement on creating new values to a drop down field using REST API call.  DB teams in my company wants to create new values for Jira field dynamically without reliance on Jira administrators (as this occurs very frequent).

have been gone through multiple articles, found a related one for creating new value in a Jira field(https://developer.atlassian.com/cloud/jira/platform/rest/v3/api-group-issue-custom-field-options/#api-rest-api-3-field-fieldid-context-contextid-option-post) but I'm not very proficient at coding. So can any one help me or share any code that helps me create values to the Jira field. Thanks in advance.

1 answer

0 votes
Thomas Opiolka
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 23, 2024

Hi @Rajesh Konda ,

Apologies if this comes a bit late, but I'd like to offer a suggestion. If you prefer not to handle the coding yourself—which can be more challenging than it seems—you might consider using the third-party tool, External Data for Jira Fields.

This tool can synchronize an external list with a native Jira select list and keep it updated. For example, you could use a Google Sheet, which you can easily modify, and sync all those values to the Jira select list dropdown. The feature is called Field Option Sync, and you can find more details here.

I hope this helps.

Please remember, the marketplace offers additional options that might suit your needs, which you can find through a search. I should mention that I am collaborating with the vendor of the app I recommended.

Best regards,

Thomas

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events